Anyone had rogue Premium Rate calls on their phone bills?

My 91 years old mother who lives alone has just received a phone bill from BT for £238 which includes over £200 of premium rate calls. She has NEVER dialed any of these numbers so I checked with BT customer services and it appears she still has to pay for this scam ! They insist someone has used her phone and made the calls but that is total rubbish. All numbers start with 09 prefix.

Has anyone else had this trouble and if so what was the outcome. I certainly would like to know a solution to this, it's just not fair to expect to pay for calls never made. Very upsetting for anyone at that age, well any age I guess !

Would sure appreciate any help.

Edited by dusvidar
omission

I had it a few years ago and took it to the ombudsman and still had to pay it although they traced it back to two people in America who had done it they said it was my responsibilty to try and get it back off them.

Whats the number ...who does it go to? are they all the same number? what time period are we talking?

My 91 years old mother who lives alone has just received a phone bill from BT for £238 which includes over £200 of premium rate calls. She has NEVER dialed any of these numbers so I checked with BT customer services and it appears she still has to pay for this scam ! They insist someone has used her phone and made the calls but that is total rubbish. All numbers start with 09 prefix.

Has anyone else had this trouble and if so what was the outcome. I certainly would like to know a solution to this, it's just not fair to expect to pay for calls never made. Very upsetting for anyone at that age, well any age I guess !

Would sure appreciate any help.

ring bt back i work for a tel co firm and deal with complaints if she has never had these on her bill they should refund them even if someone has used her phone we refund as a one off so id call them back and ask to be out tro to a manager

I had it a few years ago and took it to the ombudsman and still had to pay it although they traced it back to two people in America who had done it they said it was my responsibilty to try and get it back off them.

Can I ask how they managed it if you didn't dial a number? Did they phone you?

I happened to me, via my computer. I got stung for £50. :suspect:

Someone must have loaded a trojan, or something to dial a premuim number. I asked BT to block any calls to 09 numbers from my phone line.

Whats the number ...who does it go to? are they all the same number? what time period are we talking?

For instance 3 calls were over 6 minutes each around £9 a time. Prefixes either 09061 09012 or 09066 and suffixes variable but all 900s following. Generally the logged calls are at least 3 minutes duration.

Btw there is no computer in house so no internet involvement.

Thanks for interest.

Have you googled the number? It may take you to others with the same problem and strengthen your argument.

Another thought OP does your mum enter competitions? The reason I ask is my Nan who was in her 90's used to, especially for her puzzles/crosswords in her weekly magazines - all 09 numbers.

Another thought OP does your mum enter competitions? The reason I ask is my Nan who was in her 90's used to, especially for her puzzles/crosswords in her weekly magazines - all 09 numbers.

No, she only uses phone to ring me or my sister. Never competitions she says.

Have you googled the number? Sometimes helps if you add a few spaces if it doesn't come up with anything first time eg, 09********* and 09** ****.

My Nan was a little monkey for entering all the competitions and puzzles in papers and magazines :hihi:

Does someone ring her and then she is told to press a button to be re-directed?

Just a thought!