Problems with digital region / BT infinity

been suffering a couple of outages lately, 15/6/12 was off for almost an hour between 17:30 and 18:30 and on 13/6/12 in the morning sorry couldnt give you a time frame for that outage. but on the 13th i called my DR supplier and when i asked a couple of questions i was baffled by the response.

firstly i asked is there any issues with the network at present, the guy in technicals response was 'yes we have a system wide outage and were working on getting it fixed'

since ive been on digital region i have had many ocassions where i have experienced drop outs on my connection, which i never experienced as a ADSL subscriber so i pushed further for answers

so i asked 'are bt infinity suffering from the same issues' , as the fttc cabinets are the same as i was lead to believe. the reply was 'no bt infinity is fine, the problem is with virgin media'

hold on a minute, am i missing something here? other than my sparodic internet connection obviously!

im quite happy to be corrected when im wrong, but in this case am i?

so not only that my internet goes down or briefly drops connection, im getting lied to by technical support.

anybody else suffering with the same symptoms with their semi fibre 'fttc' internet connection please get posting

I have broadband with DR through isrighthere ltd / littlebigone and I'm having the same problems as you describe.

Connection keeps dropping and my broadband was off yesterday for an hour at the same time. Not contacted littlebigone yet but so far I'm not impressed with their installation, service and customer service

ive been connected 8 months now, initially when i signed up i thought you would get the odd issues (stabilisation period) usually completed within a few days of the connection going live, the odd router restart etc... but i have seemed to be plagued most by brief drop outs sometimes maybe 3 or 4 in the evenings or very slow internet speeds, i contacted the supplier and they exchanged my router, telling me that it was the firmware causing the issues.. the router they sent me had the same revision of firmware which as you can guess didnt rectify the issues.

one thing i didnt expect was to be signing up to a service which to be honest is quite poor.

i use it mainly for gaming but with having a few kids draining on resources i thought it best to upgrade from 8mb adsl up to digital region. im starting to regret that now and wished i'd stuck with what i'd got and just limited the bandwidth my kids can use whilst im gaming (which i still can do) but doesnt make the slightest difference when its not them to blame =/

DR uses their own cabinets - not the same ones as BT use for infinity.

I am on BT infinity 80/20 and get the occasional drop out but nothing major at all.

We have the plusnet fibre broadband. I highly recommend people avoid it!

The Thomson router it comes with is awful, knocking us offline 3-4 times every week for between 10mins to 4 hours. They have offered us 2 options. 1 they will come out and fix it, but if the router is working when they come out we have to pay for the call out fee! Or 2, they will give us a new router "without the bugs" for free if we re-sign an 18 month deal. I argued that if they let me try the new router for a month first then I would resign if it fixed the problem, but Im not committing to another 18months of shoddy internet if the router is not any better.

Also at peak times it is way slower than our old copper Be internet £7pm value package that we were previously on.

The Thomson router it comes with is awful, knocking us offline 3-4 times every week for between 10mins to 4 hours.

That sounds like a fault, or potentially the wireless dropping out. Do you get the same issues with a wired connection?

1 they will come out and fix it, but if the router is working when they come out we have to pay for the call out fee!

That sounds like an engineer visit as part of a fault fix? You'll only have to pay the callout fee if the issue is caused by your internal wiring or equipment, if you've followed the troubleshooting steps we advise when first raising a fault this shouldn't be an issue.

Or 2, they will give us a new router "without the bugs" for free if we re-sign an 18 month deal.

If you're on Fibre already the chances are you have exactly the same router we're offering to send you. The deferred contract for our routers currently stands at 12 months, you'd only pay the cost of the router if you left within this period.

Also at peak times it is way slower than our old copper Be internet £7pm value package that we were previously on.

Something is obviously very wrong here as that shouldn't be the case. If you can provide me with a ticket ID or some other way of identifying your account I'll get one of my guys to take a look.

That sounds like a fault, or potentially the wireless dropping out. Do you get the same issues with a wired connection?

That sounds like an engineer visit as part of a fault fix? You'll only have to pay the callout fee if the issue is caused by your internal wiring or equipment, if you've followed the troubleshooting steps we advise when first raising a fault this shouldn't be an issue.

If you're on Fibre already the chances are you have exactly the same router we're offering to send you. The deferred contract for our routers currently stands at 12 months, you'd only pay the cost of the router if you left within this period.

Something is obviously very wrong here as that shouldn't be the case. If you can provide me with a ticket ID or some other way of identifying your account I'll get one of my guys to take a look.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply I have Pm'd you my account details.

Hi there,

Thanks for that - just taken a look at your account and the latest connection has been ongoing for 18 days or so so I'm certain it's an issue with the wireless. Unfortunately the router's outside its 12 month warranty so we can't RMA it but I would recommend trying another just to be sure, if you have one available?

Hope that helps.