Flower market trade only?

Not all florists can put flowers outside (I'm lucky that I can) but if you have to put them inside people NEED to be able to see them. On the odd day I've had to bring them in I've noticed a big drop in sales so not having a good flash certainly puts you at a disadvantage. I'm going to pop down when I have some time this winter and see for myself.

We're simple folk at heart aren't we? Give us a bit of colour and brightness and we'll follow it! "Ooooooh, pretty flowers........" She does put some stuff outside but again it has very little appeal (to me at least). Maybe I'm not her target market! If she's doing well I'm pleased for her (I know she advertises children's parties) as Fulwood needs some interesting shops even if I don't use them!

A "good flash"?! Is that what having attractive stuff to draw people to your shop is called? I always thought it meant something quite different!

We're simple folk at heart aren't we? Give us a bit of colour and brightness and we'll follow it! "Ooooooh, pretty flowers........" She does put some stuff outside but again it has very little appeal (to me at least). Maybe I'm not her target market! If she's doing well I'm pleased for her (I know she advertises children's parties) as Fulwood needs some interesting shops even if I don't use them!

A "good flash"?! Is that what having attractive stuff to draw people to your shop is called? I always thought it meant something quite different!

Can't take the cash if you ain't got the flash!!

7326121354_d831b58c59_c.jpg

7326125740_24838189cf_c.jpg

It's strange what appeals to different people in different areas. My area frustrates me at times. Give them a real quality bunch of 10 stems of best lillies at 5.99 and they will pick up the crap 4.99 mixed bunch next to it. I'm slowly bringing them round to my way of thinking though ; )

You obviously like fragrant flowers but you might be surprised that most of my customers specifically ask me for flowers that don't smell. I still stock things like lillies, stocks, freesia etc.

Can't take the cash if you ain't got the flash!!

7326121354_d831b58c59_c.jpg

7326125740_24838189cf_c.jpg.

Oh yes, that would reel me in like a fish on a line!

It's strange what appeals to different people in different areas. My area frustrates me at times. Give them a real quality bunch of 10 stems of best lillies at 5.99 and they will pick up the crap 4.99 mixed bunch next to it. I'm slowly bringing them round to my way of thinking though ; )

Bleagh! The bunch full of spray chrysanths, some of which have been dyed garish colours!

You obviously like fragrant flowers but you might be surprised that most of my customers specifically ask me for flowers that don't smell. I still stock things like lillies, stocks, freesia etc.

No! Are they mad????? I don't only like fragrant ones, I love all sorts of flowers, but how can you not love the smell of freesias, stocks, sweet peas or a really beautiful scented rose?

Incidentally Tombo46, can you tell your neighbour to take that apostrophe out of 'sarny's'?! In fact better still, tell them it's 'sarnies'! Your hanging baskets look lvery good value at £11.99. I do all of mine myself, partly with stuff I grow myself and partly with bought bedding plants. It takes ages, you can't make much of a profit on them :(.

I like those wooden tubs too.....

I am impressed with your show tombo46 i bet that brightens the place up.

Thank you =] I take a lot of pride in my "flash". I still love setting it up even to this day.

Oh yes, that would reel me in like a fish on a line!

Bleagh! The bunch full of spray chrysanths, some of which have been dyed garish colours!

No! Are they mad????? I don't only like fragrant ones, I love all sorts of flowers, but how can you not love the smell of freesias, stocks, sweet peas or a really beautiful scented rose?

You know the ones ; ) No dyed flowers though...I avoid them like the plague :o

I think my customers are mad at times. I myself like nice simple flowers with bold colours. Things like tulips and gerbera. I appreciate any quality flower/plant though.

Incidentally Tombo46, can you tell your neighbour to take that apostrophe out of 'sarny's'?! In fact better still, tell them it's 'sarnies'! Your hanging baskets look lvery good value at £11.99. I do all of mine myself, partly with stuff I grow myself and partly with bought bedding plants. It takes ages, you can't make much of a profit on them :(.

I like those wooden tubs too.....

Haha I know, He is letting the side down on that one...you're welcome to come up and tell him but I can't guarantee he won't make you cry. You may even end up in his "special" meat...

Funilly enough I make very good profit on those baskets and we do 1000's of them. They are our leading line in Summer. It's the same with a lot of things. Everything that is cheap we make a good mark-up but everything that's expensive we are usually working for a lot less. People assume an expensive price = you're making loads of money.

With the hanging baskets I am just very lucky to have the amazing supplier I do. It is actually only 2 people and their son (who works for them part time) who run the whole nursery. They are in their 60's and do a fantastic job. They make around about 8000 baskets a year and only serve a handful of customers. Basket planting is all done by one woman who puts out about 300 a day (incredible I know) and the maintenance is done by her husband. They aren't greedy and in turn it allows us to sell them at a silly price.

And those half barrels are genuine old whisky barrels! A chap passed the other day and said "I've just had a smell of your barrels", I said "excuse me?" and he pointed to them. I mis-heard him and thought he said "bowels".....