Issues with the Royal Mail

Apparently not other than maybe god and devine intervention, the RM are simply not being remotely helpful.

If I'm honest the chap is being very understanding considering since the item was posted on the 19th April and so called delivered just a few days later, yet he's £££ down.

To be honest it's the guy's own fault for taking the risk with regard to allowing them to leave stuff unsigned for... you could always pick one of these to write and complain to:

http://www.royalmailgroup.com/about-us/management-committees/royal-mail-group-board

might ruffle a few feathers if you pick the right one.. :)

(i) Verify the actual signature online (enter tracking code in RM online page for it)

(ii) take screenshot of signature (Google 'FScapture') and email/check with the intended recipient, whether that is his/her signature

(iii) If it is not, prepare/obtain witness statement from the intended recipient, that this signature obtained from the postman is not his/her

(iv) Write to RM (recorded delivery again) with copy (not original) of witness statement, demanding insured amount within 10 working days or you will file proceedings in small claims court and report the offence to police for prosecution of fraud case

(v) If RM does not comply, file @ SCC and report to police as directed on 11th day.

Let us know how you go on :)

Whilst this is VERY helpful my understanding is the RM are exempt from prosecution due to the RM status therefore cannot be taken to the small claims court, from what I understand however individuals can be if my understanding of this is correct which would explain why the depot manager refuses to provide his details, his position and his depot.

I will contact the buyer again this evening and forward this onto him as really he needs to follow this up as opposed to me.

Thanks for this

Is there no-one higher you or the recipient can write to?..although you've really done your bit haven't you?

The recipient can't do anything about the item as such as the contract is between Royal Mail and the sender. This is one of those problems that Postmen face daily.

I've been with Royal Mail for nearly 30 years and over that time the rules haven't changed significantly. If you cannot deliver an item safely (In to the recipients hands at the door) then return it to the office. However the public often has a different idea and most postmen like to accomadate people even if that means breaking the rules. I get many requests to "Put it in the Blue Bin", "Leave it with a neighbour", "Put it by the back door" etc.... But if i do i'm breaking the rules and if i don't people think i'm an awkward sod. A typical no win situation.

I assume that some type of unofficial agreement exists between this recipient and his postman, the postman has done what he thinks the customer wants and will probably end up getting disiplined for it. However perhaps in the modern world that's what's required, No more "put it in the shed" etc. your either at home to collect the parcel or you pick it up from the delivery office 48/72 hours later.

The recipient can't do anything about the item as such as the contract is between Royal Mail and the sender. This is one of those problems that Postmen face daily.

With your experience then what do you suggest the OP does given the reluctance of the manager to take it any further...?

I really don't know what you can do apart from continue to complain, make a nuisance of yourself.

First thing that occurs to me is the signature. You said it looked like Zorro on the website but both PDA and cards require a signature and a printed name. Can you get the printed name from the website? And there should be a time of delivery as well, the more information you have the better your case.

I really don't know what you can do apart from continue to complain, make a nuisance of yourself.

First thing that occurs to me is the signature. You said it looked like Zorro on the website but both PDA and cards require a signature and a printed name. Can you get the printed name from the website? And there should be a time of delivery as well, the more information you have the better your case.

If the postie's signed it (so he can leave it in the shed or wherever) then won't he also have put the correct name in the printed part?

If the postie's signed it (so he can leave it in the shed or wherever) then won't he also have put the correct name in the printed part?

If this is the case then Royal Mail will have broken the terms of the contract, the OP chose a method of delivery that meant the parcel wouldn't be left unattended.

The printed name states the name of the recipient funnily enough however as he's pointed out his signature looks nothing like the "Zorro" one. I've printed off the so called signed for confirmation with the time on it. The best thing is that the royal mail and again I quote say "that the signature means nothing anyway" which really equates to how can they justify charging 95p for a signature if its worthless and apparently doesn't prove delivery?

From what I can see the're digging themselves further into the pit whilst trying desparately to pass the buck onto someone else, unfortunately for the RM the word no doesn't exist in my world because I won't leave it be until the recipient has been fully compensated and the person responsible is doing the West street shuffle along with a potential prison term for possible fraud.

The RM have been allowed to get away with things for years because they are 'protected' against prosecution apparently, hardly surprising all these other companies are now competing with them and successfully doing so therefore the RM days may become numbered

If this is the case then Royal Mail will have broken the terms of the contract, the OP chose a method of delivery that meant the parcel wouldn't be left unattended.

This is exactly what has occured however the RM refuse to accept responsibilty for their actions, he wasn't in so that means that the postie has signed for it in the recipients name, scribbled a signature and just left it?!?!

Therefore the postie has acted illegally yet the depot manager is being a right awkward sod. Mind you I really wouldn't want to be in either of their shoes at the moment as plan B maybe instigated and the RM really don't want to go down that route............

You may realise I really don't like being messed about:rant: