Proving difficult to find a new job :(

Just sending out applications and CVs en masse is a stupid way of looking for work. You need to work out what skills, experience and qualifications you have and target each application individually. It's quality not quantity of applications that will determine whether you get a job.

How about studying for a qualification while you're out of work?

This is odd because according to some people on SF there are loads of jobs around but people are too bone idle to apply for them.

Others seem to think that there are so many jobs going spare that everyone on benefits or doing volunteer work should be forced to accept them.

Get networking. Let everyone (within reason) you know your unemployed.

I have been laid off twice. Once in 2008 and then 2009 and both times unemployed for three weeks. Cousin got me a job first time and a mate the second time. Admittedly I did get lucky as they were in the right place at the right time and I am willing to do ANYTHING (legal) to bring money in.

I am NOT classing you in this catchment but it kind of makes you laugh though about a lot of people in this country who moan about being unemployed.

Although we dont need staff now but the amount of people my firm have sacked over the last 12 months because they are basically useless or bone idle or cant be bothered to turn up or all three. I despair at this country at times. Thank god for the few Poles we do have working where I do:roll:

Iv'e been for jobs in the past were I have had the right qualifications and experience and they have given it to a lesser qualified person I just came to the conclusion that I am unemployable I always think with me personally it is down to me being 6foot 5 and I think people feel intimidated by my size especially when a bloke gave the interview I would get comments like what is the weather like up there blar blar,I just seem not to go down well in interviews, I decided many years ago to work for my self and I have never looked back since really,I could not stand it now with so many people out of work and having to send out CV after CV it must knock peoples confidence back especially when they don't even get a reply back.

Iv'e been for jobs in the past were I have had the right qualifications and experience and they have given it to a lesser qualified person I just came to the conclusion that I am unemployable I always think with me personally it is down to me being 6foot 5 and I think people feel intimidated by my size especially when a bloke gave the interview I would get comments like what is the weather like up there blar blar,I just seem not to go down well in interviews, I decided many years ago to work for my self and I have never looked back since really,I could not stand it now with so many people out of work and having to send out CV after CV it must knock peoples confidence back especially when they don't even get a reply back.

I agree that sometimes you can be 'over qualified' in some way. I've had periods in my life where I couldn't find a job doing what I do, and applied for errrr...shall we say lesser jobs and the first thing they say is "well, you're a bit over qualified, we want someone who will actually stay. Not just work here until something better comes along!" Which I suppose from an employers point of view is quite valid. But it doesn't help one bit!

I suppose for the OP you could always go to the extremes and parade up and down the city centre with a sandwich board and give out as many CV as people will take! Phone the newspaper and get a photographer down there! Some people have been quite successful doing that. It does take some guts and bravado though. I'm not sure I could do it!

Can you dig holes OP?

it really is difficult times out here, im only 16 and every single place i've applied for has turned me down!

A friend of mine got laid off before Christmas and is in the same boat.

Last month he went for a Customer service job at Gala. They turned him down because he'd "not enough experience in front-line customer service".

He's been working front-line customer service for the last 10 years and even recieved several nominations and one award from the company's HQ over that time for exceptional customer care.

How the hell can they say that he didn't have the experience necessary ?

Norman Lamont - Conservative MP: High unemployment is a price worth paying!

This fascist condem regime have much the same thinking. They always think that high unemployment is a price that is acceptable for other people to pay. They of course will come out of it much richer as usual. The rich caused the problems, the poorer pay as usual. It is time that we as a nation grew a pair and kicked off like the French do.

The retirement age in France has just been cut to 60 for people who began work at 18 or less. We should do the same to give young people a chance in the jobs market.

Edited by Gamadar

Why is this ....curious to know why:huh:

I was made redundant at the end of march ,and so far have had no luck in finding a new job :(.

I apply for jobs on a daily basis and have registered with lots of jobsites+recruitment agencies, now i have got to the point where i'am applying for anything and everything, but i'am finding it quite soul destroying that i've not heard back from any would be employers.I'am currently on contribution based jobseekers which is quite frankly the most depressing thing i've ever had to do and the jobcentre advisors are no help at all. I'am trying to stay positive and am hoping that it won't be for much longer.

Anyone in a similar situation ? do you have any tips to give?

thanks not really sure why i wrote this,just needed to vent a little i suppose :|

We all need a vent now and then ... hope you feel better and you get sorted :)