Can i claim if i hit a pothole

hi can anyone tell me if they have ever made a claim against sheffield council after damaging there car or scooter after hitting a pothole.:help:

not sure about Sheffield council but last year i claimed against Lincolnshire council for the cost of a new Tyre and tracking which was £125 ,i took a photo of the damaged Tyre and the pothole and just looked on their website and they actually had a department for claims.i received £110 back so its worth trying

Theres not much chance of being sucessful cos you have to prove that the council has been negligent, and they always produce their (ahem) records to show that they have inspected the road regularly, so the pothole must have just appeared.

If you have a go, this website has some good advice: http://www.potholes.co.uk/

Good luck

Ooo yeah, good luck :roll:

I wish people would remember that "council money" is our/your money!

hi can anyone tell me if they have ever made a claim against sheffield council after damaging there car or scooter after hitting a pothole.:help:

Maybe you can, but do you really want to screw money out of them that could be used to repair roads instead?

I tried to claim last year for Alloy wheel and tyre damage from potholes on Loxley road. I was unsuccessful and within a week of the claim the council had filled the pothole in, just in time to fit into their maintenance plan so I couldn't claim negligence. I say fill in, a van turned up, two shovels of tarmac and patted down. Pothole was back within a week but they had the tick on their maintenance program so why should they care?

And I'm sorry but why should drivers NOT claim from the council? Is it fair that a car owner damages their car because the council are too busy funding themselves or stupid 'art' installations rather than caring for the roads for which they are legally obliged to maintain. There has been far too little investment in Sheffields infrastructure over the last 3 years, has anyone else noticed the number of blown or 1/2 blown traffic light lamps? Penistone road between Hillsborough and Shalesmoor has 5 at the last count. Hillsborough corner lights fail completely at least once a week. It is a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed because of cars swerving to avoid potholes or missing / failed traffic lights.

I tried to claim last year for Alloy wheel and tyre damage from potholes on Loxley road. I was unsuccessful and within a week of the claim the council had filled the pothole in, just in time to fit into their maintenance plan so I couldn't claim negligence. I say fill in, a van turned up, two shovels of tarmac and patted down. Pothole was back within a week but they had the tick on their maintenance program so why should they care?

And I'm sorry but why should drivers NOT claim from the council? Is it fair that a car owner damages their car because the council are too busy funding themselves or stupid 'art' installations rather than caring for the roads for which they are legally obliged to maintain. There has been far too little investment in Sheffields infrastructure over the last 3 years, has anyone else noticed the number of blown or 1/2 blown traffic light lamps? Penistone road between Hillsborough and Shalesmoor has 5 at the last count. Hillsborough corner lights fail completely at least once a week. It is a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed because of cars swerving to avoid potholes or missing / failed traffic lights.

Here we go, if in doubt, stick it to 'art'. Life isn't just driving and working, there have to be other things that make getting up in the morning actually worthwhile. Sheffield roads have been sh*t for ages, so you really can't blame it on prioritising public art.

Andy M