Suarez should have been red-carded

MAC33

Nor will a hand ball, but that can be a red card offence.

Very true.

I've held for many years that a deliberate handball on the goal line should be penalised by a goal, instead of any cards, but there is no rule in football that allows a "penalty goal" to be awarded and nobody seems to have any intention of making one.

Very true.

I've held for many years that a deliberate handball on the goal line should be penalised by a goal, instead of any cards, but there is no rule in football that allows a "penalty goal" to be awarded and nobody seems to have any intention of making one.

Also, when a goalkeeper takes down the striker in the box as last man, causing a penalty and a sending off.

Thinking of the Arsenal-Barcelona champions league final 2006, completely ruins the game.

Be better if players got 'sin-binned' like in rugby, say 20 mins for a red, 10 mins for a yellow.

Also, when a goalkeeper takes down the striker in the box as last man, causing a penalty and a sending off.

Thinking of the Arsenal-Barcelona champions league final 2006, completely ruins the game.

Be better if players got 'sin-binned' like in rugby, say 20 mins for a red, 10 mins for a yellow.

I've always felt that people getting red carded for giving away a penalty is pretty harsh, not just goalkeepers

They've not denied the opponent a goalscoring opportunity.

I've always felt that people getting red carded for giving away a penalty is pretty harsh, not just goalkeepers

It is harsh, but when the penalty was merely a yellow card most defenders would do it deliberately at every possible opportunity. Making it a red card offence did cut down on the number of blatant rugby-tackles by the last defender.

I don't know what the answer is, to be honest. A red card is unfairly harsh; a yellow card is no deterrent at all.

It is harsh, but when the penalty was merely a yellow card most defenders would do it deliberately at every possible opportunity. Making it a red card offence did cut down on the number of blatant rugby-tackles by the last defender.

I don't know what the answer is, to be honest. A red card is unfairly harsh; a yellow card is no deterrent at all.

It is a tough one, for sure. I think deliberate fouls in the box should be a red card, but not simply late tackles or the trailing leg of the keeper. The problem is, it very difficult to see intent, even with slow motion replays.

Perhaps there is a case to be made for football introducing a sin-bin.

Perhaps, if the intent is to punish the player but not the team as a whole, a red card should mean an automatic three-match ban but not mean you have to leave the field of the current game; or it might mean your team is forced to substitute you.

I agree. It's a fine line between it being too harsh and leaving it open to abuse (i.e. defenders knowing that by giving away a penalty and taking a yellow card they are turning a certain goal into a 50/50 chance with a penalty - red cards largely stop that)

Archived