Advice from a Mechanic

Hi there,

I know its impossible to diagnose this from someone that knows nowt!!

My van has just started with one problem...and then another one arises.

Firstly the rear locks go, but now, I seem to be burning fuel. I have gone through £80 in less than a week (Ii know I should have asked earlier but I’ve been trying to find out if it is a problem and not just fuel prices). The van was ok, but now, on the Motorway mainly, it 'jumps' as if loosing power and a lot of smoke is coming out the back. this happens when I reach 50mph. It also makes a 'whistling' noise when I put my foot down. Last night, when coming down the motorway, I not only did the problem get worse, but the car was 'jumping' as if I was pushing my clutch down then my accelerator, getting worse as the further I travelled (35miles n total) but I could also smell burning, like burning rubber of some kind.

This is no good to me as I travel up and down the motorways every weekend up north/south.

I do on average 300 miles a week, and this has never been a problem before

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

First guess would be that the hose from the turbo outlet to the inlet manifold has split / burst / come off.

The 'jumping' is surging. The black smoke and high fuel consumption is because the engine can't fuel correctly for the amount of air going in (as it's leaking). The whistling sound probably has always been there but is more noticeable now as one of the pipes on the turbo has come off.

I'm not much help really, I'm the guy who knows nowt about mechanics, but I'd love to help you, I really would. But mechanics isn't my thing - I'm more into the arts and music.

Which brings me to my question...

What tune is the van whistling?

I'm not much help really, I'm the guy who knows nowt about mechanics, but I'd love to help you, I really would. But mechanics isn't my thing - I'm more into the arts and music.

Which brings me to my question...

What tune is the van whistling?

Theres a hole in my air pipe, delillah........

This is now sorted, thanks for your advice. Turns out when it had the MOt and service done late last month they took out the air filer and didnt replace it! Suffice to say I have claimed back some fuel cost damages. I also sorted the locks at the rear as well.