What if.. GCSEs?

Higher Tier (top 20% of pupils would take this level)

A*(5%)

A (5%)

B (25%)

C (25%)

D(10%)

E(10%)

F(10%)

Intermediate tier (the next 50% of the pupils)

A* (5%) equv. at higher tier A/B (5%)

A (5%) equv. at higher tier low B/ very high C (5%)

B (20%) equv. at higher tier high C (5%)B (20%)

C (20%) equv. at higher tier mid C (5%) C (20%)

D (20%) equv. at higher tier low C (10%)

E (20%) equv. at higher tier very high grade D to a very low grade D(10%)

F (10%) equv. at higher tier gradeS E and F

Foundation tier

A* (5%) equv. at Intermediate tier A/B (5%)

A (5%) equv. at Intermediate tier low B/ very high C (5%)

B (20%) equv. at Intermediate tier high C (5%)B (20%)

C (20%) equv. at Intermediate tier mid C (5%) C (20%)

D (20%) equv. at Intermediate tier low C (10%)

E (20%) equv. at Intermediate tier very high grade D to a very low grade D(10%)

F (10%) equv. at Inteemediate tier grades E and F

That is if there were set percentages for each grade. The second list is if there was a full grade range. Each grade would have its own paper. The foundation tier would be set lower then the higher tier.

Pupils would be entered for a Grade A*, Grade B, and Grade F . There would be three tiers Higher,Intermediate, Basic each tier would have a full grade range A*-F The pupils would be able set exams in different tier for different subjects.

Mathematics entry for an A or A* higher tier

Biology entry for an A or B Higher tier

Chemistry entry for a B Higher tier

Physics Entry for an A Higher tier

English Lit Entry for a C Higher tier or an A* Intermediate tier

English Entry for a C Higher tier or an A* Intermediate tier

History Entry for a C at Higher tier or an A* Intermediate tier

French Entry for Grade A* Intermediate tier

Edited by gracek

then we couldn't say we were improving year on year.

well no, it seems like teachers and children can't win.

you bring in tests, the teachers learn how to get the kids through the tests better year on year. but suddenly that means the tests are getting easier! If you stop and thin about it, it doesn't. It doesn't mean teachers are cheating or the tests are getting easier, it's just the fact that if you do similar tests every year for years on end you will get better at them.

Idiots in charge, as ever.

the year on year improvements are because the marking in criteria based rather than orm referenced - in norm referencing - which you are suggesting grade inflation / deflation is solely in the hands of the chief examiner and where s/he draws the line in terms of percentages or SD from the mean .

if you do not understand the difference between these systems then i would suggest that you are insufficiently informed to engage in meaningful debate on the subject, and should stick to reading the Heily Mail or Faily Express

then we couldn't say we were improving year on year.

well no, it seems like teachers and children can't win.

you bring in tests, the teachers learn how to get the kids through the tests better year on year. but suddenly that means the tests are getting easier! If you stop and thin about it, it doesn't. It doesn't mean teachers are cheating or the tests are getting easier, it's just the fact that if you do similar tests every year for years on end you will get better at them.

Idiots in charge, as ever.

I see what you mean. The pupils would be entered for the grades by their teachers and schools. The pupils would not know what level or grade that they were entered for. I feel it makes since to have A*-F grades in all tiers.

Edited by gracek

there is already a lower tear where the max you can get is a b or a c to D. the beefit of taking that is that a D is a passing grade, whereas if you take the exam that allows you to get an A, a D is a failing grade.

A Specs Grades A*-U A* 95%-100%=190-200pts A 80%-94%=160-188pts B 70%-79%=158-140pts C 60%-69%=120-138pts D 50%-59%=100-118pts E 40%-49%=80-98pts F 30%-39%=60-78pts U 29%-less=0pts

B Specs same as above

C Specs same as above

D/E's would be marginal passes and the grade F would be a fail.

Edited by gracek

to be fair If you don't pass your GCSE's at the minute you seem destined for a life on the dole anyway (I'm not saying this is a good thing).

Would we not be better forgetting about this sort of testing and employing people on their merits?

I know people with doctorates who don't know what to do when the electricity trips out, and a million other everyday uses that are practical for an employer to have. Compared to that what are GCSE results telling us?

to be fair If you don't pass your GCSE's at the minute you seem destined for a life on the dole anyway (I'm not saying this is a good thing).

Would we not be better forgetting about this sort of testing and employing people on their merits?

I know people with doctorates who don't know what to do when the electricity trips out, and a million other everyday uses that are practical for an employer to have. Compared to that what are GCSE results telling us?

I see what you mean.