Public Right of way?

Anyone else seen the sign saying 'Private Road - No Public Right of Way - There are admitted errors on some OS maps' on the lane between Mickley Lane and Holmesfield Park Wood in Totley. Locals just ignore it, it seems that the general feeling is that the path is a right of way - does anyone know whether the path is a right of way or how to find out for certain?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/walking/prow/definitive-map.html

If Sheffield's definitive map shows a right of way on that lane, the sign is illegal and feel free to tear it down.

If the definitive map does not show a right of way, that does not prove that there isn't one, but it makes it quite likely. You'd then have to speak to the council department who produces the map, to gain clarification.

Anyone else seen the sign saying 'Private Road - No Public Right of Way - There are admitted errors on some OS maps' on the lane between Mickley Lane and Holmesfield Park Wood in Totley. Locals just ignore it, it seems that the general feeling is that the path is a right of way - does anyone know whether the path is a right of way or how to find out for certain?

Have a word with the council department responsible for "rights of way"

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/walking/prow.html

I know the path very well and as you say it is well used by locals me being one of them;). However the sign is correct. The actual public right of way only goes as far as the old stone gate posts and at that point it swings left and runs parallel with the private road that leads to Woodthorpe Hall. All of this is shown on ordinance maps. Locals use the private path as its easier underfoot than the official ROW. In my experience the people from the Hall / farm are tolerant of walkers, runners and I've politely passed them many times but I think its people who try and drive up there that cause the issue.

Thanks for your help with this - it's good to know that the landowner sounds tolerant as always slightly concerned was going to end up getting shouted at :)

The road thru' Thorncliffe Industrial Estate [formerly Newton Chambers] has been closed to 'through traffic' after being open for over 200 years.

Have never understood this law......:huh:

All of this is shown on ordnance maps.
Ordnance Survey maps do not show Rights of Way, it specifically says on them "The representation on this map of any road, track or path is no evidence of a right of way". The local council is the authority on Rights of Way.

Ordnance Survey maps do not show Rights of Way, it specifically says on them "The representation on this map of any road, track or path is no evidence of a right of way". The local council is the authority on Rights of Way.

The OS maps do show rights of way, carefully distinguising footpaths, bridlepaths, by-ways and other access rights. Presumably they have to put in the disclaimer in case there's ever a mistake, or the paths change after the map was printed.

The OS maps do show rights of way

They do, but the fact that it's shown on an OS map is not evidence that it exists, or that you have a right to use it.

I know this thread is quite old but we stumbled across this sign today and another at the top indicating private property no access both directions. We used the other path through the trees but since getting home have checked it out on quite a few maps and now quite puzzled.

It seems like the sign is wrong but if the maps are in error, as the sign says, then I can imagine it being quite annoying when walkers go through your grounds. On the other hand a right of way is a right and would have been understood before purchasing the hall.