On the subject of doctors..

I have just noticed a thread on doctors and am feeling a little miffed at my own experience this week.

Having registered at our surgery 15 months ago when we moved into the area, fortunately neither myself, partner or three daughters have needed to be seen, with the exception of my middle daughters arranged pre school booster.

On Sunday my two eldest became unwell. Thinking maybe a virus, (they are 12 & 5) I treat at home with fluids, paracetamol and ibuprofen. By Tuesday they had become worse, both with temps peaking at 39.5. I called the surgery to try and get an appointment to be told that there were none for that day, pre booked appointments were only available from 1st March, but if I phoned at 8:15am Wednesday, some were reserved for the day.

The following morning, I began phoning at a few minutes before they were due to open and eventually got through at 8:21am, by which time, all appointments had gone.

My partner had taken the day off work with them as we were trying to take it in turns, so I finished at lunchtime so he could drop us at the walk in centre. We waited just over an hour, which was more than fair and they both needed antibiotics for tonsilitis and uvilitis.

Yesterday my two year old became unwell, got through to doctors at 8:19am, all appointments gone. Explained her age, symptoms of cough, rasping and temp, but no. This time with my partner at work, had to go with three poorly children by bus as I don't drive for antibiotics for a chest infection and tonsilitis.

Basically, the first time my children have been ill, my local gp has been of no use to me. My previous gp had an excellent 'drop in and wait your turn' option. Think I shall be looking for an alternative surgery?

My old surgery at Woodhouse used to be the same, I have rung them several times to get the message "your call is 59th in the queue" and obviously have no chance of getting an appointment after I got through. But, if it was a child, or sounded serious, they would tell me to go after 4pm, for a 'sit and wait' appointment, where I could have been seen at anything from 4pm up until 6pm.

My current surgery on Chesterfield road seems much better, its never as busy when I go as my old one, which would be packed with people, mostly OAPs, and no seats left in the waiting rooms.

Yep - I'd find another GP. Mine has an excellent triage system - if you ask, a nurse will call you back and if you need to be seen that day, she'll fit you in to see someone. I think that's terrible not to see children with potentially serious problems. x

My old surgery at Woodhouse used to be the same, I have rung them several times to get the message "your call is 59th in the queue" and obviously have no chance of getting an appointment after I got through. But, if it was a child, or sounded serious, they would tell me to go after 4pm, for a 'sit and wait' appointment, where I could have been seen at anything from 4pm up until 6pm.

My current surgery on Chesterfield road seems much better, its never as busy when I go as my old one, which would be packed with people, mostly OAPs, and no seats left in the waiting rooms.

This is because older people tend to have more conditions which need medical attention.This will usually lead to something called death.

This is because older people tend to have more conditions which need medical attention.This will usually lead to something called death.

And a few times I've seen them complaining, they had just had operations, and could barely walk, and had asked for a doctor to visit them at home, but no, they had to come to surgery and stand in a packed waiting room, poor service!

Sounds like my surgery - Far Lane/Trafalgar?

Sounds like my surgery - Far Lane/Trafalgar?

It is indeed Far Lane. I have less faith than before nowthat someone identified the surgery from such description.

I fully understand the needs of the elderly, they are a prioty in my job and I admit to often feeling cross that they are refused home visits. This week, my priority has been my children and a child at two with breathing difficulties I would deem necessary to see.

Thank goodness for the walk in, or it would have been us potentially wasting time at A&E, all for a course of antibiotics and some reassurance.

It is indeed Far Lane. I have less faith than before nowthat someone identified the surgery from such description.

I fully understand the needs of the elderly, they are a prioty in my job and I admit to often feeling cross that they are refused home visits. This week, my priority has been my children and a child at two with breathing difficulties I would deem necessary to see.

Thank goodness for the walk in, or it would have been us potentially wasting time at A&E, all for a course of antibiotics and some reassurance.

Rather than the walk in centre, if I can't get an appointment, I usually wait until surgery has closed, and ring them, and the call gets diverted to the GP collaborative (not sure if all GP surgeries take part) which is based at the Northern General. They assess you over the phone, and a doctor calls you back, and gives you an appointment, which I prefer, especially with the kids, as it saves you waiting at the walk in centre with them for 90 minutes. I tried to get them to come out to see my daughter once, as my other daughter was in bed, and it was about 11pm, but they insist on seeing children at the hospital, due to how quickly their symptoms can change and worsen. xx

Rather than the walk in centre, if I can't get an appointment, I usually wait until surgery has closed, and ring them, and the call gets diverted to the GP collaborative (not sure if all GP surgeries take part) which is based at the Northern General. They assess you over the phone, and a doctor calls you back, and gives you an appointment, which I prefer, especially with the kids, as it saves you waiting at the walk in centre with them for 90 minutes. I tried to get them to come out to see my daughter once, as my other daughter was in bed, and it was about 11pm, but they insist on seeing children at the hospital, due to how quickly their symptoms can change and worsen. xx

I believe most surgeries are linked, but I don't understand how it works? Does it mean waiting until the following day for an appointment with them, or travelling still?

I believe most surgeries are linked, but I don't understand how it works? Does it mean waiting until the following day for an appointment with them, or travelling still?

Its open all hours I think, I once went at 4am for an ear infection on a Sunday morning as I couldn't stand it any more, and couldn't get a doctors appointment. Felt crap and couldn't face the Walk in centre, just ended up getting a taxi up to hospital in the middle of the night. If its serious and you want to get seen there and then, its a good option x

I will keep that in mind, thank you for your reply.

My main gripe is really having to travel when I registered with a gp for this purpose. I realise and understand that other people are in need, but felt my kids were not given any thought or consideration this time.

Judging from the systems other surgeries use, i shall be doing a bit of research and hopefully finding a new one.

Thanks all.