Customer Service? - Debenhams

With the recession still hitting us all hard and the news reporting that retail sales are down, you would think that businesses would be working all that much harder to keep their customers happy. Or at least abide by the law. But not so for the Debenhams in town.

I bought a suit in October 2011 and after wearing it for just 1 day the stitching started to come undone. So naturally I took it back. Ive been wearing suits all my adult life and have never had one fall apart, let alone after 1 day. So I was amazed at the reception I got from Debenhams.

First the woman behind the till couldn't deal with it and had to call over the salesman from the suit department, which I found strange. Then he basically tells me 'too bad, you've worn it'. Up to that point I would have considered a replacement but I was so appalled at his attitude that I wanted a refund and insisted on speaking to the store manager, but she was no better and refused a refund (which I was within my rights to request). Anyway, long story short, I finally got my money back but only after having had to take Debenhams to court and been granted a judgement against them. Obviously they have lost a customer.

On the day I took back my suit there was another lady there trying to return a polo shirt. They refused the lady in the same way they refused me; by claiming that the seller was a concession and we had to take it up with them. The advice I received from Consumer Direct before going to court is that if the receipt says 'Debenhams', which it does, then it's for them to sort out and they shouldn't be directing customers to third parties. Let me also mention Debenhams' own returns policy, which they also ignored.

So beware if you're planning on shopping at Debenhams. You may end being treated like me; by staff who are unhelpful, dismissive and unwilling to deal fairly with their customer.

Edited by StuEP

that's one heck of a failing on their part!

we found their service to be abysmal so took our wedding list to John Lewis instead. I'm glad we did after the horror story I heard from a friend who used them (a problem gift was never resolved, so she's never had the £400 gift from her aunty)

Funny you should mention John Lewis, as I've found them to be completely the opposite. I bought a pair of jeans a while back and they forgot to take off one of the security tags so I had to take it back. Not only did I get an apology, I also got a £5 gift token for the inconvenience.

What a contrast!

I was treat completely different to you at Debenhams recently. I found £30 of paper Debenhams vouchers recently which must have been at least 10 years old. After reading the Meadowhall Gift Card threads on here recently I thought I may as well bin them. However I thought, nothing ventured nothing gained, and went in to Debenhams and explained the situation.

After discussions with a couple of staff I was informed that there was no problem in redeeming them, which I did do.

I was dealt with and spoke to very efficiently and I can only speak from my experience that they were excellent.

I fell out with Debenhams about 16 years ago, I did a work placement in their Toy Department (which they don't have any more) when I was on an NVQ Retail course at the old Loxley College, the College asked Debenhams if I could do more than one day a week there, working for free on placement, they didn't wanna know! :rant::loopy:

Good on you, I'm all for this, the 'little man' winning against the big company. Out of interest roughly how much did court proceedings cost you and I'm assuming you got those (if any) back?

Out of interest roughly how much did court proceedings cost you and I'm assuming you got those (if any) back?

I took them to court through the government's Money Claim Online system and it cost me £25, which I got back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a litigious person. Before taking them to court I made phones calls and wrote letters to the branch (who never even bothered replying) and then to the head office, but they just gave me the runaround.

Sometimes you have to take a stand and I chose to do it after Debenhams made it clear they just didn't care.

To this day there's still not been so much as an apology or assurance that someone was going to have a word with their staff about their attitude. But after reading some of the other posts, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

I guess Debenhams must be raking in the profits not to care about their customers.

I know Debenhams in Town are rubbish, but they have a captive audience of customers really, as there's nowhere else in Town to go to be honest, sure there's a few clothes shops on Fargate such as River Island, Top Shop and of course, Marks' but for choice, you're pretty much stuck with Debenhams and they know it.

I guess it depends on what you're buying, but for clothes I just shop in John Lewis or if I have to I head to down to Meadowhell. The Tram's not that expensive.

I took them to court through the government's Money Claim Online system and it cost me £25, which I got back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a litigious person. Before taking them to court I made phones calls and wrote letters to the branch (who never even bothered replying) and then to the head office, but they just gave me the runaround.

Sometimes you have to take a stand and I chose to do it after Debenhams made it clear they just didn't care.

To this day there's still not been so much as an apology or assurance that someone was going to have a word with their staff about their attitude. But after reading some of the other posts, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

I guess Debenhams must be raking in the profits not to care about their customers.

Adding my "well dones" and thanks or sharing how you did it.

A couple of years ago I visited Debenhams to buy a Chanel perfume set for a gift for a family member.

I thought the service for buying what I feel is a luxury brand very poor. The shop assistant was more interested in talking to her colleague than serving me and was not helpful when I asked for it to be wrapped as a gift.

I took the time to get in touch with Debenhams via the feedback channel on their website and put together a constructive view of why I was disappointed with the service received. I didn't receive an acknowledgement or response. :(