Is tilt-shift special or a gimmick??

AlyJ

Just been looking at some tilt shift images and I'm a bit confused as to the main purpose. Is anyone using one on a regular basis? I have seen loads of sites and flickr pages where it seems the main use is to make real scenes look like toy scenes. They do look interesting, but I can't see the long term appeal.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the main purpose of a tilt shift lens is and are there any examples of good use/images people have?

Thanks very much

Aly

http://www.alyjackson.com

I like tilt shift pics, some of them are amazing how they make the elements of the pic look like toys.

It's quite an intricate but satisfying challenge to achieve it with software, but it's also a 'use once' feature, it gets old fast.

It's really interesting because, in the same way 'lens flare' makes things look 'more real' even though in reality you rarely get lens flare nowadays, the 'shrink' effect beautifully demonstrated in the pic above relies on conditioning.

Our sense of visual perception is malleable to such an extent that when we see a a narrow depth of field, we know it's something small being magnified. If look at a picture of a roundabout (which is a big thing), yet it appears to be greatly magnified (extremely narrow depth of field), we see a very tiny roundabout.

It's quite an intricate but satisfying challenge to achieve it with software, but it's also a 'use once' feature, it gets old fast.

It's really interesting because, in the same way 'lens flare' makes things look 'more real' even though in reality you rarely get lens flare nowadays, the 'shrink' effect beautifully demonstrated in the pic above relies on conditioning.

Our sense of visual perception is malleable to such an extent that when we see a a narrow depth of field, we know it's something small being magnified. If look at a picture of a roundabout (which is a big thing), yet it appears to be greatly magnified (extremely narrow depth of field), we see a very tiny roundabout.

I have been looking at some examples on google images and When I look at some of them I know they are real but I have to really get in close and look at certain aspects of the pic and even then I doubt myself :hihi:

It's weird - no matter how much you know that the image is misleading you, you cannot help but be misled.

The thing to ponder here is just how much has our visual perception been conditioned in other, more subtle ways that we don't notice. Our conditioning leaps out at us when there's a strong dissonance between what we know (it's not tiny) and what we are conditioned to see (it's tiny).

My betting is that there is a ton of stuff where we are being 'misled' but never even notice.

Archived