National express coaches driving too fast through Woodesats

You may be able to judge speed reasonably well, but most people cannot.

Council officers hear this kind of thing all the time, usually "every car coming down my street is doing 60 or 70mph" (usually residential street, 30mph limit).

We are in the fortunate position of being able to deploy very accurate speed measurement devices that record the speed of every vehicle which passes for as many days as you want to leave it in place.

When I worked in Sheffield, I used to get regular complaints from a guy who lived in Hillsborough, on a narrow, heavily parked street. Claimed every car that came down his street was doing at least 50mph, some more.

We put out the equipment and left it in place for 3 full days. Only one vehicle went over 30mph over the full period, most were 20-25 mph, which is what you would expect.

The truth is that the average person is a very poor judge of vehicle speed.

This means most drivers cant judge speed and therefore speeding may be very common.

Have you lot never heard of the National Express Highway Code? Living on woodseats I notice this at early hours of morning but also being an HGV driver I see what they do on motorways, like using fog lights day and night, sitting in the middle and using the outside lane too.

Coaches are allowed to use the outside lane.

Coaches are allowed to use the outside lane.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069862

Rule 265, point 4

The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving

1. any vehicle drawing a trailer

2. a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter

3. a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes

4. a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver

5. a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter

I thank you

Edited by HDious
Missed a bit

Guest busdriver1
You are still taking people from A to B.

There are several legal differences that you would know about if you had the slightest idea about the subject.

Guest busdriver1
1. A rickshaw rider is probably classed as a public service vehicles.

2. I never claimed to have an 'in-depth knowledge' of the PCV industry.

3. No, he did drive for them from Stonegravels.

4. Nope - his wife had a child.

5. I never claimed to be an expert, nor would I ever want to be really.

6. Good for you - thought they only had horse and carriage back then.

By implication you are claiming to have knowledge that you clearly do not have. I am not going to get into a discussion about your attitude problems that have seen you banned from other forums and your repetetive claims and contradictory counter claims. There are various facts in this thread that you have claimed knowledge about yet time and time again you just spout the usual rubbish with no supporting evidence. You have some skewed ideas gained from failed drivers that you seem to think represents the facts. When you have worked in the industry for over 30 years at various levels you tend to pick up on the odd few facts. I do not know every thing but compared to you I am sure I am very knowledgable.

I also never resort to pathetic childish comments.

By implication you are claiming to have knowledge that you clearly do not have. I am not going to get into a discussion about your attitude problems that have seen you banned from other forums and your repetetive claims and contradictory counter claims. There are various facts in this thread that you have claimed knowledge about yet time and time again you just spout the usual rubbish with no supporting evidence. You have some skewed ideas gained from failed drivers that you seem to think represents the facts. When you have worked in the industry for over 30 years at various levels you tend to pick up on the odd few facts. I do not know every thing but compared to you I am sure I am very knowledgable.

I also never resort to pathetic childish comments.

At the end of the day, wether you are a taxi driver, rickshaw rider, bus driver, coach driver, train driver, tram driver or pilot you are taking people from A to B.

I think I'll be OK though, I won't loose sleep over it anyway....:loopy:

The speed these coaches are going at when they head through Woodseats is dangerous and something needs doing about it.

Last night I saw a very near miss near the police station after a coach had sprinted over the hill in towards woodseats at a good 60 mph and only just missed a car turning right.

The reasons national express go threw there at speed is because the head office doesn't give them enough time to make it from sheffield to chesterfield and vice versa but if the driver was doing speeds and driving recklessly the traffic light system which tells drivers and the depots that they are driving recklessly and action should be taken :)