WTC and the self employed.

Trying to get some advice here as I cant think of anyway to do this.

Im self employed, declare my income etc, I work just over 30 hours per week, but some of those are spent doing paperwork, emails, doing quotes and finding new clients etc.

Bearing that in mind, the HMRC have said that I cant PROVE those hours, so have rejected the claim.

Does anyone know of any way to do this which would keep HMRC happy ?

Thanks in advance.

How do they ask you to prove any of the hours? Sounds a bit odd.

I can prove most of my hours (working in clients venues), but they want proof that im spending X amount of hours doing paperwork etc.

Because im not actually working for a client, they say I cant prove the amount of time im "in the office" so to speak.

Keep a log over the next month of hours in office.

Note who you call,

When you call em,

E-mails who & when,

All miles covered quoting jobs etc then re-apply also make it clear that you cant continue to work without any help and will be signing on week after if no help regarding WTC.

Keep a log over the next month of hours in office.

Note who you call,

When you call em,

E-mails who & when,

All miles covered quoting jobs etc then re-apply also make it clear that you cant continue to work without any help and will be signing on week after if no help regarding WTC.

Thanks for that, already been through my diary and put in most of that stuff for the last month or so.

Will go over it again tomorrow before I put the appeal in.

it shouldnt be anything to do with time or hours it should just be based on your earnings

How much WTC you get is based on that.

But to get it in the first place, you have to prove that you work over 30 hours per week - not easy when you are self employed...

Have you thought of setting up your business as a limited company and pay yourself under PAYE? Create yourself an employee contract which stipulates 37 hours a week...then the actual hours you then work is irrelevant, there is your proof.

Appreciate there are other costs associated with running a limited liability company so you'd have to way up the pros and cons.

Have you thought of setting up your business as a limited company and pay yourself under PAYE? Create yourself an employee contract which stipulates 37 hours a week...then the actual hours you then work is irrelevant, there is your proof.

Appreciate there are other costs associated with running a limited liability company so you'd have to way up the pros and cons.

Now theres a thought, will have to look into that, thanks....

Do remember that costs come with a Ltd Comapny as Steve points out - in the form of paying someone to do the annual accounts for Comapnies House & HMRC, different to your annual self assessment and not quite as easy hence why folk pay accountants to do them.

See an accountant before ever going Ltd to work out that you will actually be better off. There are a couple that hang out on this forum.

Archived