Help please for a first time mum !! My LO projectile vomits :(

ambercake

Hi my 1st son was like that my health visitor was horrible but it was many many years ago, I swapped his formula brand and it settled straight away. My 3rd was also like it tried the same method but it didn't work he was gaining weight ok and happy otherwise but as a third timer your confidence grows and I stood my ground and instead he was looked at for reflux, intolerance etc they kept telling me it was ok but you just know as a mum it's just not ok sometimes, it turned out after a referral to the hospital he was lactose intolerant. If you are concerned push and push for a referral it may be nothing but at least then you know and you will feel better for asking the questions. Hope it all works out ok !

my daughter used to be like that, and can still do it every few weeks, its very scary and very messy! just like yours, she is always fine after it. i just make sure that i keep her sat up after a fees, in her bouncy chair, or have her on my shoulder for 15 mins. often she will burp about 10 mins after ive finished wind-ing her, you can never wind them enough lol!

how much does your baby weigh? Poppy is 12 weeks old and doesnt eat as much as yours so am worried now!

My son did this, we had him at the hod pitfall and drs loads of times as it was so violent. Neither the GP or the hospital seemed concerned and never diagnosed anything.

The health visitors were happy as long as he was putting weight on.

My mum said I was exactly the same until I was one and guess what...as soon as my sin turned one it never happened again, strange.

• 3 months later...

Just like to follow-up on this, in case other people have the same problem and read this thread.

My son stopped doing the projectile vomiting at around 4.5 months old. Before that he just drunk what ever in the bottle and I fed him the amount recommended in the book, which was about 200ml/7oz every feed according to his weight. When he got to 4.5 months old, he started to "make his own mind up", he would take certain amount, which was around 150-170ml/5-6oz, and then push the bottle away. Since he started doing this, he never projectile vomitted again. So basically he was needing a lot less than I was giving him -- over fed basically causing the vomiting.

He has always been over 90 centil on his weight and height and he only needed 25-30oz a day up until he was weaned, so in his case calculating amount of feed according to weight would be wrong.

He is very well, healthy and loves beef, chicken and rice pudding!

Hope this will help other mums with the similar problem.