Electronic craft cutters

Spanna2005

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has got an electronic craft cutter?

I really like the idea of being able to design t-shirt stencils and have the machine cut them out for me, as my cutting skills aren't great....

If you do have one, would you recommend it or is it gathering dust? ;)

Thanks!

I got a quickutz Silhouette cutter about five years ago but I've hardly used it. I found the instructions hard to follow and couldn't get the right setting for the blade or the right blade for the card thickness so I gave up. I had a play with it a few months ago (without looking at the isntructions) and it might not be as difficult as the instructions made out. I did manage to cut some nice shapes out and put the right blade in, set the depth and speed of cut. I would advise visiting a craft show or having a go with one before buying a new one. You can see lots of them on ebay second hand.

I use mine for card making so have different requirements to yourself. I have to use mine with a pc but some have a computer built in.

I have one and never looked back, it's great!

I use for card making. Vinyl stickers, tshirt vinyl and stencils for fabric paint!

Don't buy one whereas you need cartridges to cut things, that's all extra money! I have the silhouette sd and it's amazing!

I have a Sizzix bigshot die cutter. This can emboss whereas my electronic die cutter can't. I buy some dies new but quite a lot second hand off ebay.

If I were to buy something now I would investigate the Cricut as this can colour the cars as well. I've only seen it on TV so not sure exactly what it does and if you need to buy a cartridge or use a pc.

What do you mean by colour the cars on the cricut?

Cricut is a cartridge based cutter, so if you want a shape or letter, you need the cartridge which can be £30 each. I'm not sure if you can do custom designs and shapes on this?

The one I have, I can use any font for free to cut out, any shape I draw. I can put an image on screen and print it out and then my machine will cut it out! Designs are 60p each if I want a paid design, but lots freely available and doing own is so easy!

I'm now saving up for the bigger sized one, the cameo!

I missed the d out. It should read cards not cars.

The Cricut can apply colour but as I stated, I don't know much about these machines. Hanksy says Cricut work on cartridges. There are forums just for these craft cutters and scrap booking so someone may know the pros and cons of all the machines.

Ahh I see. I didn't realise the Cricut can print too. I have a printer for that part, quick read says you need cartridge to print a pattern - if that's true that would be a big no for me!

Just found this website.... After reading it from my Facebook group

http://www.does-the-product-work.com/cricut/

http://www.does-the-product-work.com/silhouette-sd/

Ahh I see. I didn't realise the Cricut can print too. I have a printer for that part, quick read says you need cartridge to print a pattern - if that's true that would be a big no for me!

Just found this website.... After reading it from my Facebook group

http://www.does-the-product-work.com/cricut/

http://www.does-the-product-work.com/silhouette-sd/

You haven't compared all the models. You can design your own images on some of the Cricut machines. I think the Gypsy is one of them but I don't know if this can colour.

You can only colour with a Silhouette machine by swapping the blade for a pen. There are Silhoutte machines made by different companies so don't get them confused. I found this out when I was trying to download more recent software for mine a few months ago. I had logged on to the wrong company website not realising there were two companies both with Silhouette machines. :roll::hihi:

Isnt the gypsy just an added extra that holds all the cartridges without having to have loads of cartridges to change over.

Its the whole buying new cartridges that I didnt like and the reason I didnt buy the cricut.

I only wanted (to start with) a machine that cut card for card making. I then found that I was paying £12 a set of dies, when I only wanted 1 die in the pack and might only use it once or twice. I bought the electronic cutter and havent paid for a single design to cut yet and Ive done loads of things with it. I love me to you cards and I can print out the picture and then put in the SD and it cuts around the bear or a shape i want - all without extra cartridges etc..

The silhouette machines are all the same company, its been known as Grapthec and quickkutzs, but its all the same machine!

It all depends what you use it for, the cricut is more expensive but can print - but you need cartridges for fonts, shapes etc.

The Cameo doesnt print, but you can print from a printer and then cut after. It can cut fonts from the internet and also images from the internet for free.

This is a gift I did for someone with my SD