First hatch of the year on.

Has anyone else started hatching yet this year? I've just put nine Cream Legbar eggs under my broody. I was going to put the incubator on but the broody has saved me a job. I've never used this chicken to hatch eggs before, fingers crossed she sits tight. Hopefully I will have fluffy chicks around 12th February.

hi we have just put some quail eggs in the incubater

I've seen photos of quails hatching and they look like little bees. They are so tiny aren't they!

are these going to be for sale or personal use ? if for sale i,m interested in buying a hen . thanks

It depends on how many females I hatch. I'm only a hobby breeder but I do enjoy hatching and rearing them. If I have any 'spare' I will sell some. These are good quallity birds. It's hard to find good quality Cream Legbars as there are a lot of poor quality birds out there. A lot of birds don't have the correct feather colour. I've seen some advertised that are nothing like cream Legbars.

Hatching eggs are £2 each and young growers at 8 weeks old will be £15. I have a small waiting list for them at the moment. It might be a bit early yet and these eggs might not be fertile. I will know in three weeks time how many females I have.

I've seen photos of quails hatching and they look like little bees. They are so tiny aren't they!

yes they are we hatch japanees jumbo and tiny chiniese they are so cute

We have only put one of our cabinet incubators on as we have broodys too. We have put in quail, turkey, pekin banty, sablepoots, buff sussex, barred rocks and jap eggs. All looking fertile so far:)

We have only put one of our cabinet incubators on as we have broodys too. We have put in quail, turkey, pekin banty, sablepoots, buff sussex, barred rocks and jap eggs. All looking fertile so far:)

Oh my goodness! What a nice selection in there! What cabined incy have you got? I have an MS 50 egg autoturn. I might fire it up incase broody doesn't sit. I haven't seen 'evidence' she has been off for a poop yet. Hope she hasn't 'fowled' the eggs. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun). I'm going to lift her off in the morning to check if the eggs are clean.

wow a lot of diferent birds there where do you find the room for all them when they hatch

I am getting ready to get started. Hubby wants some more Friesians so I am waiting for the lady who sold me my last bunch of hatching eggs to get me some more - her hens have only just started laying again.

I want to try some quail as well this year - not the little chinese painted ones but the bigger ones - golden or something like that (advice gratefully received)

Its a bit early to candle on day six but I didn't want to leave the broody sitting if they eggs weren't fertile. The one I looked at is fertile! I've put it back under her and left her alone.

parcher - sorry, I don't know about quails. Try this poultry forum as its really friendly.

http://www.thepoultrygarden.com

Nice one chez, I hope the rest are fertile for you!

I am now onto my 4th hatch of the year! Started early this year as I have a little project running with some of my birds and want to see if I can get a double breeding in the same year.

I have hatched 60 quail this year, along with 6 white star, 8 CLB x White star (my project!), choc orp, fresian, silkies and araucana. I have 24 barred plymouth rock due in a fortnight aswell.

I am a hobby breeder, but picky about the birds I keep from hatch so do have quite a large turnover of birds (well largeish!).

Parcher - I think you mean the coturnix (come in a variety of colours from white to golden). My hens haven't started laying yet but when they do I have 5 pens of different colours and sell off any excess fertile eggs which I do not incubate myself.

I currently use a RCOM king suro and an octagon 20 (which is the best by a mile!) I also have my little pet girls who will be broody by april, the buff orp sits about 24 eggs, better than any incubator!

Steve