52 week challenge -late joiner!

AlyJ

How did you process the portrait? Is the noise (grain in old money!) part of the processing or just a by-product of the size reduction?

Also i'd be interested in settings & lens used if you can remember.

Looks good though.

Hi,

The portrait was shot in low natural light with the model facing a window with a dull sky. The noise is produced by a high(ish) iso to enable no flash or artificial lighting to be used.

It was processed from colour to mono (slight sepia) in Lightroom with very little other processing except a check on levels and exposure. White balance as shot but in camera on 'dull'.

I think the lens was a 18-200 zoom but could have been a 50mm prime, can't remember. Can't remember settings either but I would guess 125th at f8.

Hope this helps!

Overall, a nice image, the noise does spoil it a bit. did you selectively sharpen the eyes as it seems those are worse affected. The grain in the rest of the photo is acceptable and works quite well with the mono conversion.

watch out for the cliping of nuckles etc...

Overall, a nice image, the noise does spoil it a bit. did you selectively sharpen the eyes as it seems those are worse affected. The grain in the rest of the photo is acceptable and works quite well with the mono conversion.

watch out for the cliping of nuckles etc...

Yes the right eye was selectively enhanced (our left) and the noise is harsh, but I wouldn't enlarge the image so much so not too worried. It's that horrible dilemma when you know a lighter eye would look better.... I noticed the knuckles after the crop so well spotted!! Very easy to photograph so I'm sure there'll be more of Matthew.

Thanks for your comments. Really appreciate the CC