Adoption process at thornbury animal sanctuary

looked on there website and cant find any details of the adoption process, has anyone here adopted from thornbury who can tell me whats what please

we are trying to adopt from there at the moment and its like trying to nail trifle to the ceiling !!!

been down there and picked a pup, given all details they asked for and was told a home visit would be needed which was no problem as all is secure etc, supposed to be hearing from them last friday/saturday but not heard a thing !

i am a bit dissapointed actually that they cant even keep in touch to let people know whats happening, after all virtually all rescues are crying out for people to come and give staffies and staff/cross's a loving and permanent home.

maybe we should have gone to a breeder instead !

Edited by REPO MAN

We adopted from there some time ago and it took an age to arrange a home visit and then even after that was complete the person who had done the visit seemed in no hurry to contact Thornberry and inform them that they had indeed done the visit and that all was well, Took us about 3 weeks I think to actually adopt the dog.

We adopted from there some time ago and it took an age to arrange a home visit and then even after that was complete the person who had done the visit seemed in no hurry to contact Thornberry and inform them that they had indeed done the visit and that all was well, Took us about 3 weeks I think to actually adopt the dog.

i cant weigh them to be honest, when i went down there the lady told me they wanted to rehome the pups asap as they were growing so fast, she said as soon as they have had their vaccination on thurs we will contact you re a home visit ! but nothing:loopy:

thanks guys for your response, i had heard that it wasnt an easy process adopting from them, we adopted our dog few years ago from cliffe kennels and to be honest they prob wasnt strict enough, we just went there picked one and paid the fee basically no home check or owt, seen a dog on thornbury site that looks lovely (scooby) as a friend for kim but dont want to start somit if its going to get complicated and i having a feeling they would turn us down cause we havent got garden just a smallish back yard, which i beleive isnt a problem, but have heard there home checks are very strict. whats the adoption fee?

thanks guys for your response, i had heard that it wasnt an easy process adopting from them, we adopted our dog few years ago from cliffe kennels and to be honest they prob wasnt strict enough, we just went there picked one and paid the fee basically no home check or owt, seen a dog on thornbury site that looks lovely (scooby) as a friend for kim but dont want to start somit if its going to get complicated and i having a feeling they would turn us down cause we havent got garden just a smallish back yard, which i beleive isnt a problem, but have heard there home checks are very strict. whats the adoption fee?

we have been told 150-00, dont know if it varies dependant on type/age of animal etc.

we would just like to hear something from them when they said they would, personally its putting me off going to rescues for a pet !

Most rescues operate an adoption/homecheck policy we do @ Mosborough,as do Thornberry. The odd one doesn't , i adopted from Cliffe as well and all they wanted was the cheque. The pound don't homecheck either.

The reason homechecks take a while is because a volunteer has to arrange a time that is suitable to you and to them,it isn't convenient to h'check within days. I know some rescues who have been waiting weeks for a homecheck to be done.

But please consider - if homechecking bothers you why are you looking to adopt a dog?

Homecheckers aren't God,they are there to ascertain the suitability of you and your family for homing a dog.If a homechecker is blinkered by no garden they should seek some other voluntary occupation 'cos they aren't very good.

we have been told 150-00, dont know if it varies dependant on type/age of animal etc.

we would just like to hear something from them when they said they would, personally its putting me off going to rescues for a pet !

good luck with it REPO MAN hope you manage to get it sorted, try and stick with it cause what you are doing is a good thing choosing a rescue dog and giving it a new start,

I homecheck Nationwide every week of the year, usually within 72hours of the request, i've never refused an adoption for gardens,flats or children.

If you're looking at pups consider 8 weeks before first jab and then they need a second jab a week or so later,so they can't ideally be rehomed prior to that anyway.

Most rescues operate an adoption/homecheck policy we do @ Mosborough,as do Thornberry. The odd one doesn't , i adopted from Cliffe as well and all they wanted was the cheque. The pound don't homecheck either.

The reason homechecks take a while is because a volunteer has to arrange a time that is suitable to you and to them,it isn't convenient to h'check within days. I know some rescues who have been waiting weeks for a homecheck to be done.

But please consider - if homechecking bothers you why are you looking to adopt a dog?

Homecheckers aren't God,they are there to ascertain the suitability of you and your family for homing a dog.If a homechecker is blinkered by no garden they should seek some other voluntary occupation 'cos they aren't very good.

homechecking doesnt bother me as such and beleive its a good thing as i said cliffe basically just handed the dog over which is a worry really cause they havent a clue whos hands that dog is going too. but i have heard that some home checkers are very blinkered. what criteria do your home checkers follow? is it set things they are looking for? just wanting an idea really

I would like to claim that all homecheckers have the same criteria but there are no "official" guidleines, in addition some breed rescues then put the adoptee and homecheck to a committee to select a suitable dog(usually for pedigree rescues tbh ).

My criteria:

Dog experience

Family attitude and behaviour

Existing pets

Lifestyle

i feel everything else is encompassed.

If you have a dog and its in good health, you can assume that you know how to look after a dog. If they're trained,could well mean you're happy to train a new dog to adjust etc etc

If you have kids and they're screaming loonies pulling your existing dog to pieces then introducing a stray may not be wise from a homecheckers point of view.(these are just my opninions and not fact).

I would like to claim that all homecheckers have the same criteria but there are no "official" guidleines, in addition some breed rescues then put the adoptee and homecheck to a committee to select a suitable dog(usually for pedigree rescues tbh ).

My criteria:

Dog experience

Family attitude and behaviour

Existing pets

Lifestyle

i feel everything else is encompassed.

If you have a dog and its in good health, you can assume that you know how to look after a dog. If they're trained,could well mean you're happy to train a new dog to adjust etc etc

If you have kids and they're screaming loonies pulling your existing dog to pieces then introducing a stray may not be wise from a homecheckers point of view.(these are just my opninions and not fact).

thanks for that information willman :)