Does anyone remember Hurlfield Girls Comprehensive

Does anyone remember Hurlfield Girls Comprehensive School, School leaving year 1959, Miss Macarthur (Head Teacher) Miss Bates ( Deputy Head ) Mrs Cherry( Form Teacher,)Miss Tinton( Maths )Mrs Egerton (Geography )Miss Rogers (French Teacher),Miss Williamson (Art Teacher ) would like to hear from anyone who shared these times !!

Yes I went Hurlfield Girls School I was Carol Allwood but now called Ash since I got married. I live in Australia now with my family. I remember all the teachers you mentioned. It is hard to trace people that I knew because they will be married. My best friend was Margaret Kitson. I went from the first day it opened in 1954 to 1957. I also would be interested if anyone can remember me. Long time ago now. I am now 70 Oh dear!!!! Hope to hear back from you Regards Carol

I went to Hurlfield Boys and remember playing football on the pitch alongside Hurlfield Girls and our teacher shouting at us to concentrate as we kept looking towards the girls' obscure glass shower wall, even freezing cold icy weather failed to dampen our ardour :hihi:

Yes I remember that. I remember the boys waiting outside the gate waiting for the girls to come out. Good old days

I started at Hurlfield Girls School at the beginnning of 1959 after moving to Sheffield from Portsmouth, this was a big move at that age especially with my southern accent!!

My maiden name was Ann Minter and I lived on Granville Road. I remember Miss Tinton, Mrs Egerton (lovely lady), Miss MacArthur (Head). I went on a school trip that year to Switzerland by train, I have a few photos from that trip, one of a group of us. Trying to remember some names.

I went on to Granville College to do a secretarial course and then worked at Crabtree and Nicholl (motor dealers) opposite the town hall.

Met my husband Bob Rooney who played for Sheffield United at that time, memorable times at The Locarno, City Hall and the Wharncliff pub!!

We moved to Lincoln when we got married in 1963 and have just celebrated our Golden Wedding Anniversary. We now live in southern Spain, but visit UK regularly.

Hello  I remember the school. I  believe it  was demolished some years ago.  I remember Miss MacArthur and several other teachers you  mention.  I was in the school choral speech choir  which I think was taken by Mrs Francis. (my favourite teacher). 

I also went to Switzerland with the school, but cannot remember the year.  

I left in 1962 and started work at the Sheffield and Ecclesall Coop in the Photographic studio. After 3 years I worked  in the City Treasurers Dept in the Town Hall.  In 1970 I left there for Germany and lived in Heidelberg for 25 years. Returned to the UK and lived in Bournemouth for 20 years. Now live in Bridport, Dorset  with my partner.   Only just found this site. 

My wife left Hurlfield  in 1959. She went on the trip to Hamburg and has photos of the trip.

On 11/11/2011 at 00:00, parkway said:

Does anyone remember Hurlfield Girls Comprehensive School, School leaving year 1959, Miss Macarthur (Head Teacher) Miss Bates ( Deputy Head ) Mrs Cherry( Form Teacher,)Miss Tinton( Maths )Mrs Egerton (Geography )Miss Rogers (French Teacher),Miss Williamson (Art Teacher ) would like to hear from anyone who shared these times !!

Yes, I was there from 1960 to

1964. I remember assemblies where Miss MacArthur was regularly ‘shocked and appalled ‘ at some minor infringement. She told me that I wouldn’t amount to anything.

On 06/09/2020 at 20:35, Sue Gill said:

Yes, I was there from 1960 to

1964. I remember assemblies where Miss MacArthur was regularly ‘shocked and appalled ‘ at some minor infringement. She told me that I wouldn’t amount to anything.

I was there 1960 to 1964. The names of girls I remember are

Kathleen Bright

Susan Williams

Denise Rutherford 

Christine Bacon ?

If I remember anymore I will add them. My name was Jackie Oates

Very late reply.  Just found this.

I went to Hurlfield Girls' 1962 - 67 and also went on the train trip to Switzerland.  It was Christmas 1963, I was in the second year and shared a room with three others (Ann Leavesley being one) on the top floor of the Kurhaus Wasserwendi.  Loved it but no pictures.  Do remember sleeping on a luggage rack travelling through France at one point as I was the smallest in the carriage.  Mrs Robins, the French teacher, went with us plus some girls from Abbeydale too.

Mrs Nott was head when I was there and Miss Bateman still as deputy.   Miss Smith, who seemed ancient, was Year 1 teacher, Mrs Wright Year 2 and Mrs Jenkins 4th and 5th year.  I was in Fonteyn.

I once knew a lass called Moira Dudley who went to this school.I remember her from the late 60's.She lived ont Manor estate.

I was at Hurlfield Girls School from 1959 to 1964 . When I started the head teacher was Miss Mcarthy and the Deputy head Miss Bateman. When Miss McCarthy retired her replacement was Miss Newton, who then became Mrs Knott. I also remember Mrs Francis and her verse speaking group - still remember many of the poems. I was House Captain of Fonteyn House.

1960-61.JPG

1960 Verse spe Gr.JPG