Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

I have never said I will stay whatever the costs, and Occupy Sheffield has never said they will stay whatever the costs.

I question the argument that the occupation is having a negative impact on the homeless project, or that it isn't a public square right outside a load of banks, or that it's not safe (Police and Fire say it is).

Also, the very people we are supposed to be helping isn't just the poorest 1%, it's for the poorest 99.99%, i.e. all of us.

I also totally agree that just because the argument is right doesn't mean the way to make people listen is right. But this is being tried, because lots of other things have been tried (going through the existing political structures, march protests, anti-capitalist riots) and they don't work. There are thousands of Occupy camps around the world. This isn't just a thing in Sheffield. It's bigger than that.

I know it is a worldwide thing but this one directly affects members of my family and is stopping them from doing something they enjoy and providing support to the cathedral and archer project. I am certain these aren't the only people avoiding the cathedral and not having the opportunity to donate to the archer project because of your presence. Is this not evidence that you are affecting the archer project. I could not possibly say exactly how many people are worried about going to the cathedral or the amount of money they would donate to the archer project and carrying out the necessary research would cost far too much, money I would prefer to donate directly to the archer project.

I know it is a worldwide thing but this one directly affects members of my family and is stopping them from doing something they enjoy and providing support to the cathedral and archer project. I am certain these aren't the only people avoiding the cathedral and not having the opportunity to donate to the archer project because of your presence. Is this not evidence that you are affecting the archer project. I could not possibly say exactly how many people are worried about going to the cathedral or the amount of money they would donate to the archer project and carrying out the necessary research would cost far too much, money I would prefer to donate directly to the archer project.

There is less danger there now at 10pm than there was before, because there is a bunch of people there talking round a fire drinking tea. You are more likely to get trouble from people drunk on the street than from peaceful protesters. You could do your bit for the Archer Project by letting people know that this is what Occupy Sheffield is actually like, and that there's nothing to be afraid of.

The Cathedral could do their part too. They know there is reduced risk in the area now because the place is occupied 24/7. They should work with Occupy Sheffield in partnership. There is so much cross over in values between the Church of England and the Occupy movement. I'll dig out what the Bishop's thoughts were...

Extract from the Presidential Address, by Bishop Steven of Sheffield:

1. Each human person is made in the image of God and is of infinite and equal worth.

2. Greed for more money and possessions does not lead to happiness. It leads to dissatisfaction and to more greed.

3. The laws and customs of a society should not encourage greed but hold it in check. Where those laws and customs simply give free rein to greed there is something deeply wrong.

4. A healthy society should take care of the poorest, the least and weakest who are not able to help themselves.

5. Human beings are not independent. We live interconnected lives. We flourish best in families and in community.

6. A healthy society should strive for equality and fairness more than it strives for prosperity.

7. A healthy society is one in which people take responsibility for their own actions and are very cautious indeed about debt.

8. Human beings are made for life in community and life in communion with God. We are called to live in the perspective of eternity. If we do not, the result is emptiness.

This shows he's really listened to what the Occupy movement is about. Respect to that man.

We need Capitalism with a conscience, right?

Why not do the protests of the 1960s, they seemed to be effective.

Why not put an ad in the paper, and pay £50 to anyone who is willing to strip down to there underpants and stand next to one of the tents for an hour?

The more middle aged, and more ropey the stripper, the more of an impact it will have, and if its a bearded male aged about 60, then that will get your point accross better.

You could then get the stripper to bring all his old underpants and set them on fire, and do it directly next to people who are queueing at the Supertram stop.

This would get you in the papers, a picture of a man aged about 60, wearing only underpants and setting a pile of pants on fire, next to shocked/distressed people standing at the tram stop

It worked in the 1960s, so why not give it a go?

If the man is paid £50 for a couple of hours, he can get a wardrobe of new underpants after his protest has finished. So man gets a wardrobe of new pants, and you get into the papers.

Try it

Ive asked this before and i will ask again to the people part of occupy.

Do you really see anything changing in the direction you want due to you camping there? Because so far you have been there weeks and nothing has changed positively in the grand scheme of things, so as far as im concerned so far, your wasting your time.

Ive asked this before and i will ask again to the people part of occupy.

Do you really see anything changing in the direction you want due to you camping there? Because so far you have been there weeks and nothing has changed positively in the grand scheme of things, so as far as im concerned so far, your wasting your time.

It's been discusses at the last council meeting in Sheffield. 6 people asked questions to the council. They know about it, and are talking about it. This is spurring on other occupations across the country to bring the issue of 'big money corrupting democracy' to their councils and local MPs. Things are happening. There's been press about the camp, and a little bit about why it's there. The topic of global inequality has had exposure. People have noticed. Musicians who address politics in their music have come from all over to show their support and talk about revolution.

It's going to take time to filter out into public consciousness, but I can see it would be possible for it to have an impact on policies in the future, if new ways of doing things were found that the 99% can get behind. It's in people's minds as they walk around Sheffield. That's hard to quantify right now, but the stakes are so high that I'm pretty hopeful.

A lot has been achieved, in my opinion. The future is unknown. There are lots of scenarios. Maybe the camp stays 'til Christmas Eve. Maybe the camp stays 'til summer. Maybe a temporary building goes up as a base for Occupy discussions, and all the messy tents disappear. Maybe the occupation becomes a community centre somewhere else; a Bank of Ideas. Maybe Occupy Sheffield stops, but Sheffield people still talk about the ideas. Maybe putting these issues on the public agenda changes how political parties think, and how people vote. What do you think?

Shocking that the majority of people in this city think Occupy should be evicted from the cathedral.

Also shocking that the majority of people haven't even bothered to go there and read the information to educate themselves as to what its all about.

This stuff effects everyone in a big way and Occupy have a growing support of millions of people all across the world.

For a city with a rich history of people standing up for their rights and standing together against injustice, Sheffield has dissappointed.

sheffield people do stand up for then self when things matter, this dose not , we just get on with it. as long as food on table ,and bill are payed thats what matters , not sat on the arse in a tent ,get out and start your own bussniss that might get the econamy going

sheffield people do stand up for then self when things matter, this dose not , we just get on with it. as long as food on table ,and bill are payed thats what matters , not sat on the arse in a tent ,get out and start your own bussniss that might get the econamy going

Maybe they could start giving lessons in basic spelling and grammar?

"sheffield people do stand up for then self when things matter"

What, like if someone spills your alcho pop?