The shops on Hatfield House Lane in the 1950s

aye thats him,apologies for my spelling,the old memory is going a bit now !!!! yes one woodbine and a match ! i think he could have learnt arkright

Where Sicey Ave. joined Hatfield House Lane was a paper shop, used to get my Wizard, Hotspur & Rover there. The bakers used to have yeast delivered in the 40's by a bloke who used a motor bike & sidecar, the bike was ancient, it had an underslung petrol tank & hand gear change.

Where Sicey Ave. joined Hatfield House Lane was a paper shop, used to get my Wizard, Hotspur & Rover there. The bakers used to have yeast delivered in the 40's by a bloke who used a motor bike & sidecar, the bike was ancient, it had an underslung petrol tank & hand gear change.

I also remember at the Bellhouse road end a barbers called Jims .It was in the fifties early sixties.My older brother would take me for my haircut and I had to sit on a board across the arms of the barbers chair because I was just a titch.You could have short back and sides and as he got more with it a square neck.

At the Bell house road end near the cricket pitch was a general store. My Dad , in the early 40's, gave me half a crown to get him some cigarettes (no age restriction then) crossing the road I dropped the coin which rolled into a drain. Fearfully , I told my Dad, his response was to give me a 10/-s note, with a comment " To hold that b....r in the wind & let it blow away". I was very careful not to do that.

I also remember at the Bellhouse road end a barbers called Jims .It was in the fifties early sixties.My older brother would take me for my haircut and I had to sit on a board across the arms of the barbers chair because I was just a titch.You could have short back and sides and as he got more with it a square neck.

I remember Jim the barber. He used to cut my hair in '56/'57 when I was in senior school. You could also buy his homemade setting lotion. It kept my quif in place.

wombatc