Drs & Nurses Duty of care!

My 3yr old son was very ill recently and had to be taken into hospital by a first response paramedic.

After 6hrs of being medicated and observed in the Childrens he was finally discharged.....at 12:15am!

Now i wouldn't have a problem with this were it not for the fact that I: A. don't drive, B. had repeatedly told them i don't have any money for a taxi and C. don't have any family or friends that could give us a lift home (to lowedges)!

The hospital refused to help us and frankly it was only by the grace of god that family friend who I'd not spoken to in years came through for us!!

I feel i must point out that they were however, willing to bend over backwards to get a 14yr old girl home

How is it right that they can 'kick us to the curb' when we genuinely had no way of getting home but can help a girl whos family were already on the way to get her....where is the duty of care here?? how is this ensuring the health and well-being of a sick and still as yet undiagnosed small child??

well that's my rant over...thoughts and opinions welcome.

Edited by Lotski
still wasn't right

you have a right to feel angry .i hope your child is well now.you could write to the hospital administrater to complain.

He seems to be getting over it now but it was the second time in the space of a week he'd been in with the same symptoms (Repeated vomiting, drowsiness and phases of unresponsiveness!) and all they can tell me is "it's not meningitis!"

I told the nurse, "I'm going to stand outside, pray and hope my faith rewards me as it's more than you've done to get my poor son home!" to which she replied "well stay safe"....

Am still drafting the letter lol (wouldn't want them to claim I was being aggressive in my letter lol)

He seems to be getting over it now but it was the second time in the space of a week he'd been in with the same symptoms (Repeated vomiting, drowsiness and phases of unresponsiveness!) and all they can tell me is "it's not meningitis!"

I told the nurse, "I'm going to stand outside, pray and hope my faith rewards me as it's more than you've done to get my poor son home!" to which she replied "well stay safe"....

Am still drafting the letter lol (wouldn't want them to claim I was being aggressive in my letter lol)

But your child is well? So maybe they did actually do something right?

Any how, here you go:

http://www.sheffieldchildrens.nhs.uk/patientadviceliaison.htm

Not really he still has a temp (sorry forgot that one lol) and is still complains that he feels sick, though hasn't actually vomited and he is still a little lethargic which concerns me as he is usually hyperactive (wakes up at 5:45am and doesn't go to sleep until 10:30-11pm and that's without a nap and walking to nursery).

Not really he still has a temp (sorry forgot that one lol) and is still complains that he feels sick, though hasn't actually vomited and he is still a little lethargic which concerns me as he is usually hyperactive (wakes up at 5:45am and doesn't go to sleep until 10:30-11pm and that's without a nap and walking to nursery).

Awww...... poor little fella.

Take him to your GP.

Tried taking him yesterday and today and got the same response "the earliest pre-bookable appointment is in 2weeks time" so have booked him in....just have to hope he doesn't relapse in the mean time.

If there are no appointments for a while at your doctors ask the receptionist to get the duty doctor to call you back, they will talk through what's the matter over the phone and if they feel the need will ask you to bring him into the surgery. That's what I do if there are ever no appointments and I feel it's urgent.

Tried taking him yesterday and today and got the same response "the earliest pre-bookable appointment is in 2weeks time" so have booked him in....just have to hope he doesn't relapse in the mean time.

If there are no appointments for a while at your doctors ask the receptionist to get the duty doctor to call you back, they will talk through what's the matter over the phone and if they feel the need will ask you to bring him into the surgery. That's what I do if there are ever no appointments and I feel it's urgent.

Yes, you souldn't wait two weeks - though I strongly suspect he'll be better by then.

Ring back and ask to speak to the doctor or triage nurse.

Or you have the option of the walk in centre:

http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/walk-in/wic.php

Though probably best to see your own GP if possible.

Reading what you've said about your sons normal sleeping patterns, you could consider asking the health visitor for some advice about getting him into a better sleep routine - he isn't getting enough sleep.

Edited by scoop

If you can't get an appointment with your GP, take him to the walk in centre at the hallamshire hospital if you are really that worried, hope your little one is ok :)

If you can't get an appointment with your GP, take him to the walk in centre at the hallamshire hospital if you are really that worried, hope your little one is ok :)

The walk in centre isn't at the Hallamshire anymore - it's on Broad Lane, see link above.