Dog killed in wombwell woods

Sorry to hear of your loss RIP Max hope you find the person who owns the dog that attacked yours and that other people are warned about these men to look out for them so it dosnt happen again.

Yes please, any help whatsoever will be welcome.

Would you let me know the name on facebook so I can keep my eye on it.

Many many thanks.

Jay

Done that for you had to shorten it to get it on there.PM you link.

Radio Sheffield now covering this quite often i notice. Hopefully someone will come forward with information.

Odds are these people will be out in and around this area every night. They will know the haunts of all the other poor animals that too will be ripped apart.

Responsible people who hunt with terriers - and who ensure the prey is what is to be targetted and ensure that the prey isn't tormented more than necessary and also ensure its killed - not left maimed - also don't want this sort of thing happening. Not that I can get my head around anyone who kills anything as their evenings pleasure, I can't - I'm just saying these are irresponsible - even in the field they are in.

I hope the publicity gets these hoodlems caught.

I walk the other side of Wombwell on a training walk with 15+ other dogs (the bridel paths and woods near the old heaps) . We often come across bull lurchers with young lads, luckily we have a scout out in front to warm other people and us that there are 15+ 30Kg+ dogs on the way and we get them all on leads.

It appears the young lads in the area seem to be very fond of the bull lurchers for hunting the last two I saw were a pair of very light brindle bull/ lurchers, they are very atheltic dogs and as tall as the GSD's and mastiffs I walk with.

I really hope you find the people responsible.

I walk the other side of Wombwell on a training walk with 15+ other dogs (the bridel paths and woods near the old heaps) . We often come across bull lurchers with young lads, luckily we have a scout out in front to warm other people and us that there are 15+ 30Kg+ dogs on the way and we get them all on leads.

It appears the young lads in the area seem to be very fond of the bull lurchers for hunting the last two I saw were a pair of very light brindle bull/ lurchers, they are very atheltic dogs and as tall as the GSD's and mastiffs I walk with.

I really hope you find the people responsible.

Hi,

I have never heard of a bull lurcher until I saw your post so I googled it.

The dog that attacked looked exactly the same.

It was a dark and also a very light brindle bull lurcher who caused the death of Max

Hi,

I have never heard of a bull lurcher until I saw your post so I googled it.

The dog that attacked looked exactly the same.

It was a dark and also a very light brindle bull lurcher who caused the death of Max

I think the idea of bull lurchers is that they also have the capacity to hunt foxes in pairs. (unlike needing lots of dogs) Hence why they are so dangerous to smaller dogs if they have been trained to hunt.

When they end up in rescue they normally have dreadful injuries/ scars due to this.

The story has just been on Look North.

Poor little thing, how awful.

My condolences to Jay. :(

just seen you on look north, so sorry for the loss of your dog, i have two greyhounds who wouldnt hurt anything but they are always kept under control, its likely that the dog that killed was bred for hunting

just seen you on look north, so sorry for the loss of your dog, i have two greyhounds who wouldnt hurt anything but they are always kept under control, its likely that the dog that killed was bred for hunting

I think the dog was a bull lurcher, I didn't find this out till last night so was too late to change.

I had never heard of them either so to me they looked exactly like a greyhound.

My wife and myself walked around wombwell woods last week and bumped into an old guy who had three greyhounds all on leads and muzzled.

We stood and spoke for a while and he did say although they are generally good natured and sociable dogs, he wouldn't trust them 100%.

I suppose there will be bad dogs in every breed, but this is down to how they are handled and treated by there owners.

An old school friend had a greyhound who was the most gentle, well tempered large dog I had ever met, he also had a dalmatian and a Chihuahua, the later of which was the pack leader.

Bull lurchers are a 'designer dog' designed with one need in mind.

Speed like the hounds and jaws like a bull breed.

They are bred for catching and killing larger animals - like foxes.

NOTHING stands a chance with these when they are on the chase. They can clear any fence or hedge - fearless and strong.

To me - this is a dog that should be goverened and whilst they are adorable dogs when not aroused for hunting - once in the mode - there is no chance in stopping them.

A wicked mix and one that we wouldn't take out of pounds anymore.