Weedkiller in public parks

Shouldn't there be a law stating that when the Council puts weedkiller in a public place, they have to put up signs warning people especially those with children and pets?

I have just found out that they have sprayed some kind of 'safe' weedkiller under play apparatus for children in Totley Hall Park. There were no signs warning of this. My dog has been ill, with diarrhoea and vomiting after dropping his ball on those areas and picking it up again. The time the stuff is strongest is before you can see the effects on the plants. The guys from the park said it was probably coincidence, that the stuff was proven safe for children and animals, but I'm not convinced.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any incidents such as this.

Prairie

most of those weed killers are not harmful to kids and pets once they are dry, the weedkiller that is - not the kids and pets:D. It is highly unlikely that this is what has made your dog ill.

as far as I'm aware there is no law requiring notification of weedkiller being sprayed. There is an expectation of care with pesticides spraying but that's different stuff.

hope this helps

Prairie, knee jerk reaction and pure coincidence re your dog. In fact dont all dogs have the S*%7's and puke all the time ? They love it they do !!

Once a weedkiller (Glysophate etc) comes into contact with the earth it is inert, once it has dried on any leaves etc after about 2 hours it is safe.

The council would not leave themselves open to any claims etc.

The stuff the council use is perfectly safe, we use stronger stuff on our garden and its never effected any of our dogs, even when we spray the crop it doesnt effect our dogs either.

Prairie, knee jerk reaction and pure coincidence re your dog. In fact dont all dogs have the S*%7's and puke all the time ? They love it they do !!

Once a weedkiller (Glysophate etc) comes into contact with the earth it is inert, once it has dried on any leaves etc after about 2 hours it is safe.

The council would not leave themselves open to any claims etc.

You must have a lot of faith in your council, Dean. Glyphosphate is not as benign as you suggest. It's usually administered in the commercial formulation Roundup and the other ingredients (the adjuvants) are more toxic than glyphosphate itself.

http://www.percyschmeiser.com/Toxic.htm

Such products are banned from use on public parks where I live. The only exception are golf courses, where the yearning for immaculate, weed free Kentucky blue grass seems to override health concerns.

If I were the OP, I'd want to phone up council to find out exactly what was sprayed.

They tend to use glyphosate which is perfectly safe to pets. There will always be a small risk since some animals may have an allergy to it, but this is not serious. Bear in mind it is essential to control the weeds and weedkiller is a the most cost-effective way to do it unless we want to add a huge pile more onto the council tax bill.

Perhaps it would be better if the kids played amongst nettles, brambles and weeds. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it would be better if the kids played amongst nettles, brambles and weeds. :rolleyes:
That's where I picked up most of my 'insect and other invertebrate plus, wild flowers of Britain and Northern Europe' knowledge when I was a nipper. That and various stings etc.:)

They tend to use glyphosate which is perfectly safe to pets. There will always be a small risk since some animals may have an allergy to it, but this is not serious. Bear in mind it is essential to control the weeds and weedkiller is a the most cost-effective way to do it unless we want to add a huge pile more onto the council tax bill.

Does controlling the weeds take precedence over children's health. There are other ways of controlling weeds than using herbicides.

I cannot understand why weedkillers are used in our parks. Aren't they supposed to be natural places and green oasis plots? Whenever I took my kids to a park I made sure they were made aware of the wildlife. I'd sit them facing the ragwort covered with cinnebar moth caterpillars, or nettles with peacock caterpillars.

They appreciate nature, not perfection. And yes, they all got stung and bitten, just like I did as a kid.

Does controlling the weeds take precedence over children's health. There are other ways of controlling weeds than using herbicides.

You sem to have ignored my point - the weedkiller they use is harmless to pets and children - harmless - got a dictionary?

You sem to have ignored my point - the weedkiller they use is harmless to pets and children - harmless - got a dictionary?

You don't have to be rude. Did you bother to look up that link that I provided in a previous posting? It hardly conveys the impression that glyphosphate is harmless.You don't even seem to know what exactly was sprayed. If it were glyphosphate it was probably administered along with a bunch of adjuvants that are more toxic than glyphosphate itself.

What kind of weeds are we talking about anyway? If it's dandelions, just mow them and get used to them. If it's brambles and stinging nettles, use a weed whacker, rototill the soil and sow grass seed.

You do not have to use herbicides.

Check your spelling btw.

Edited by soft ayperth