Whole Salmon for Party

I want to buy a whole salmon to poach in a court bouillon for a 90th Birthday Party in July. Any suggestions as to the best fishmonger and the best value for money, ( I don't mean cheap, I know that it won't be).

Thank you.

Manns in Hillsborough is highly thought of by a lot of people on here.

Don't know if this is too late for your party but Waitrose used to lend you a fish poacher if you bought the salmon from them. I'd go to Mann's though on Sharrowvale Road and borrow a big roasting tin!

I saw a whole salmon in Morrisons this morning, about £56

Don't have more idea! but wanna know

Castle Market of course!

The fishmongers halfway along the right-hand aisle - I've bought a whole salmon from there before and it was fantastic quality :)

(not the ones as soon as you walk in though... I don't like the way they have all their fish out on display at room temp... not very hygeinic :gag:)

Thanks all for your helpful replies. In the end I bought it from Boldocks, poached it on Saturday put it in the fridge overnight & then skinned it Sunday (leaving the head & tail on). I dressed it with cucumber to look like fish scales & made a Dill, Honey & Mustard Sauce. It was really yummy, very succulent & enough left for Supper on Monday. Bonus.

Thanks all for your helpful replies. In the end I bought it from Boldocks, poached it on Saturday put it in the fridge overnight & then skinned it Sunday (leaving the head & tail on). I dressed it with cucumber to look like fish scales & made a Dill, Honey & Mustard Sauce. It was really yummy, very succulent & enough left for Supper on Monday. Bonus.

Wow! Sounds wonderful! :love: