The Halcyon Bar Division Street

marylou

Nonsense. You get what you pay for.

That was a generous Bombay Saphire and Schweppes, with plenty fresh lime, served in the nicest bar in Sheffield. If you want 25ml of Gordons with draught tonic and an old slice of lemon, then there are plenty of places which charge less, but please don't complain about the prices in Halcyon. I paid willingly and left a tip on top of that!

A fantastic bar... The best place I've been in Sheffield to date.

No I'm not. I have only been once, and that was Saturday night. By pure coincidence, here's my review in another thread, which I posted before I replied to this thread.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?postid=701460#post701460

See? I even mentioned that it was a bit pricey, but that it didn't matter to me. I had a good look at the drinks menu once we sat down, and the wines are not as marked-up as some places, and the quality servings of the spirits and beers make up for some of the cost, while the nice atmosphere make it worth the rest. Draught Hoegaarden was £3.40 per pint and I've often paid £4 or more for that elsewhere, so they are not too bad really.

I agree with you that their prices are not within the reach of everyone, but I'd rather spend a bit more on a well made drink and have less of them. I had a sip of my girlfriends G&T and it was the best I've tasted in any bar, ever. 3 wedges of lime, loads of ice, and slightly strong on the gin (nothing worse than a weak one!) is just as good as it gets!

I've never tried the Green Room, but I did think it looked nice when I walked past...

All your comments are really interesting, but here at The Halcyon we focus on Quality, as well as value, and although our drinks may be a LITTLE more expensive than elsewhere, you do get a larger (35ml) measure of premium brands, Tango 1 is right about the wine mark ups, as with champagnes, cocktails and beers, all our produts are quality, and good value for what you are getting. Visit our website to get listings of entertainment but be sure to check TODAYS MATHEMATICS this wednesday...

£3.70 is NOT expensive for a G & T in a decent bar such as the Halcyon.

The service, decor, location all have to be paid for.

The Halcyon has built up a good reputation over the years. That's why you usually get a good crowd in there.

If you want a bargain drink, may i suggest your local WMC

Originally posted by Sheffair1

Marylou..... Halcyon is a great bar, if you cant afford it then simply dont go. You aught to try Manor Top club if you just go for cheap drinks !!!! (some people....t,t, moan at anything)

;):D:hihi: (only joking kid)

Do they in fact serve G and T at Manor Top club, and would they be generous with the measure? and are you suggesting Manor Top Club is anything less than as classy as other places?