Nail Technician Course??

Hi

I am wanting to learn how to be a nail technician and wanted to know if there is anywhere in Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster that does them. I dont want to pay a fortune as i know a lot of courses are around £500-£1000 to become certified.

I am interested in either a days course, or weeks course or even an evening course preferably not at college, would prefer a salon or something??

Does anyone know anyone??

Please help me.. :help:

have you looked on the castle college website? im afraid i dont know anywhere else than there.

there are always lots of course advertised in the back of magazines but youd have to do a bit of research on their reputation before handing over any pennies.

ulitmately though, if you want to build and retain a solid client base, you need to prove that not only do you have the skills and training necessary, you will need the accreditation potentially for insurance and to get a room/chair in a salon

x

Elaine at Eyecandy in Rotherham is very good

Elaine at Eyecandy in Rotherham is very good

Thanks Il give that a look!

If you want to do acrylics or gels properly you need a longer course and lots of practice. The short courses are usually done on by overlaying on tips. A good nail technician can repair a broken natural nail and overlay by sculpting without the use of tips. I've been having mine done every two weeks for the last 7 years and there is a big difference to the finish of your nails once someone has had a lot of training and practice.

If you want to do acrylics or gels properly you need a longer course and lots of practice. The short courses are usually done on by overlaying on tips. A good nail technician can repair a broken natural nail and overlay by sculpting without the use of tips. I've been having mine done every two weeks for the last 7 years and there is a big difference to the finish of your nails once someone has had a lot of training and practice.

That being said you can do the short course and then continue to do other courses to add to your skill in the future as you progress

That being said you can do the short course and then continue to do other courses to add to your skill in the future as you progress

I thought that was obvious and didn't need saying. I was merely trying to emphasise that to do good quality nails and hence build the business it was worth investing as much time and money as possible.

I had a good nail technician but had to go elsewhere when she was having her baby. I tried other places but once you have had a good finish on your nails you can see the difference when someone less experienced does them. Some poor finishes are difficult to get a smooth glossy cover over even with two coats of nail varnish. I never went back to these poor places so it would be harder to build up regular business if still training. I have now been going to Retro in Killamarsh for several years and they do a great job.

For any future posters

U can't expect to be a professional nail tech on a day's course!!

Fair enough u can learn the basics and get a certificate, but would you really feel confident enough to do work on members of the public with just one days training? thats like becoming a pilot in a day for an airline company!?! ridiculous!

Its great that people want to get into it but you have to be realistic about it!

Theres so much to learn that people don't realise such as nail anatomy, health and safety, infections/diseases of the nail (theres lots of them) meaning you can't just do anyones nails you need to look out for the signs. You need to learn application methods, break down of equipment that is needed, why and what it does, how to avoid enhancement lifting, nail splitting, damage to the nail plate and bed, correct nail preparation, the actual art and system of it such as apex , filing, shaping, People think its easy and so glamorous but believe me its not the person in the salon doing your nails is a professional with lots of training and experience which is why it looks so easy, fair enough you can buy these kits from argos or where ever but your not trained in using it properly, nor are you going to get the quality of finish you would by a professional.

You have to constantly train to update your skills as trends change so much as the poster above mentioned you can tell the difference between good nails and bad and the only way to get good nails is to get decent training and keep practicing and training, ur only as good as the training you have. As expensive as the courses are in the long run u will benefit from all of this whats the point on wasting 300-400 quid for a course cos its cheap for you to not feel confident enough after a day training for you to then have to end up paying an additional 800-1000 quid on going through what u did on the first course because you didnt train or learn enough. Some of the one days courses are good such as minx and kooky wraps, shellac and gelish training, u cant really learn a full nail system or more in one/two days. People can pick it up quite well on the courses but like i say u need more then a day,being a nail technician is an on going learning curve.

U have to bear in mind that if you do a rubbish job on a client thats it,that client will not come back to you.

I reccomend you look at training with the best companies in the business and thats

the nail product providers, they have educators who do courses and include the best methods and ways to use their products aswell learning the actual systems

Just to name a few who are the best, Nail Harmony, CND (sweet squared in the UK), NSI, Young Nails, Ezflow, IBD.

If your serious about doing nails as a profession you need to think seriously about how much you want it, having cheap training will in the end lead to being more expensive!

Thank you laura16 for the kind words. Where do I know you from?

I wonder if you did use me jules2000 for training. I have only just registered on here today.

I agree LolliB, learning about Nail Diseases is very very important. On Day 1 of my Introduction to Nail Extensions course you learn all about them and are provided with some comprehensive course notes covering nail diseases.

Please see my website in my signature for a list of my courses, from Introduction To Nail Extensions to more advanced techniques, such as One Stroke Nail Art. All Courses are ABT Accredited.

As well as Training Nails for many years, I am also a Crystal Nails Educator.

Please feel free to email me ifo you would like any more information, or ring 01709 700 700 and ask for Elaine

Thank you laura16 for the kind words. Where do I know you from?

Hi, you taught me my nail enhancements at Ritz beauty when I first started and more recently my manicure course both of which were brilliant.