The IKEA in Sheffield thread

employment of locals

But IKEA doesn't employ anyone does it? Lots of customers, no employees. That's why everything is so cheap.

But IKEA doesn't employ anyone does it? Lots of customers, no employees. That's why everything is so cheap.

Yes you are right. Went to Ikea Leeds yeaterday, didn't see a single employee the whole time i was there!

Apart from the nice woman on the help desk, and the guy in Textiles, and the woman in Kitchens and the guy in the self service area and finally the girl on check out. Oh, and nearly forgot the guy in the External Warehouse.

I, however did see an enormous queue into and out of the retail park. It was at a astandstill coming off the motorway as I was leaving at 3.30pm.

Yes you are right. Went to Ikea Leeds yeaterday, didn't see a single employee the whole time i was there!

Apart from the nice woman on the help desk, and the guy in Textiles, and the woman in Kitchens and the guy in the self service area and finally the girl on check out. Oh, and nearly forgot the guy in the External Warehouse.

I, however did see an enormous queue into and out of the retail park. It was at a astandstill coming off the motorway as I was leaving at 3.30pm.

lol. I'm guessing you'd have had to serve yourself in the food hall as well.

Love IKEA! Could cost me a fortune!

lol. I'm guessing you'd have had to serve yourself in the food hall as well.

No, huge queue there as well so treated my kids to an ice cream at a Maccy D's drive though. :)

that would be well good idea! love ikea!

The heavy traffic around the retail park for the Leeds IKEA is being caused by the new Krispy Kreme shop next to starbucks and not IKEA. We went last week; they were queueing out of the door, cars were backed up all the way to the motorway. The staff were haviong to handi out complimentary doughnuts up and down the queue!

No the business rates, employment of locals and extra visitors

to the area won't put any money into Sheffield will it?

I still think IKEA will be the main benefactor.

But perhaps the arrival of IKEA will herald the dawn of a new age in Sheffield, a era of full employment, wealth, happiness and loving tolerance.

I bet the Tesco at the Wicker will actually contribute more to Sheffield people than Ikea will.

But perhaps the arrival of IKEA will herald the dawn of a new age in Sheffield, a era of full employment, wealth, happiness and loving tolerance.

I bet the Tesco at the Wicker will actually contribute more to Sheffield people than Ikea will.

I'm thinking about putting this to music, you've really moved me. :hihi:

No business opens anywhere uless it deems that it itself is the main benefactor, money talks at the end of the day.

Ikea have tried and tried for years to get into Sheffield (near Catcliffe area I think) and it has been knocked back so many times by those fantastically forward thinking councillors! I understand that Ikea had given up trying. But Wadsley Bridge? Wrong side of Sheff me thinks!

Couldn't agree more. Could you imagine going to IKEA on a Saturday afternoon when Wednesday are playing? NO GO AREA!! It would be a nightmare. If this is the suggested site in which IKEA (IF IKEA will come to Sheffield) will use, they seriously need their heads looking at. MADNESS!

Ikea didn't suggest Wadsley Bridge, someone on here did.

Its not just the Councillors blindly rejecting every site Ikea suugests. They have been quoted severakl times that they would welcome Ikea in or close to Sheffield but its the planning restrictions that are the real issue here.

SCC cannot blindly allow Ikea and other large retailers to build huge retail stores where they like. Infact it would be counter productive to the store also if customers cannot get to the store. They will just go elsewhere.