Want a rabbit? Please rescue!

A lot of the dispute centres around price as well. Many (not all I'm sure) rescues charge a higher fee to adopt than the pet shops.

Because animals come neutered and worked-something that should be done to every animal. Neutering is much more expensive when done privately than when the animal comes from a rescue. A pair is £40 from a pet shop or £80 neutered from a charity. Each neutering is £70ish... It's not rocket science.

You are also giving a little to the charity to keep doing their work. Rabbits are the most neglected pet going and should never be taken on lightly. What would happen if it needed thousands of pounds of medical attention? People have to realise that a pet isnt a right, and whilst they bring love and fun to a household they also represent a significant cost both financially and also time

I went to thornberry to adopt 3 rabbits but because my children are young they said i was UNSUITABLE! how on earth can that be right, my children would never be left on their own withthe rabbits, I have a big secure garden which they would havefree run of all day whilst i was home, they would of been very loved and played with and never left alone. yet if my children were older I could of had one and whos to say that older chldren care more for pets??

if you say so not evry one agrees and you should respect that

It isn't about respect for humans, it's about respect and well being for the animals who can't talk.

In the same way that social services vet human human homes, animal charities have to vet too.

A human can have a child and be a poor parent, and I'm fairly sure that social services wouldn't let a poor parent adopt.

I suppose it all comes down to what the worth of life is perceived as.

I went to thornberry to adopt 3 rabbits but because my children are young they said i was UNSUITABLE! how on earth can that be right, my children would never be left on their own withthe rabbits, I have a big secure garden which they would havefree run of all day whilst i was home, they would of been very loved and played with and never left alone. yet if my children were older I could of had one and whos to say that older chldren care more for pets??

It isn't about your children, it's about the animals. Rabbits are very nervous and scardy creatures and don't do well with loud noises and boisterous handling.

Again it's the welfare of the rabbit that they are most concerned about.

That is probably because the rescues provide them with all they need including more space, more appropriate company and better nutrition than pet shops so it all costs more. Not to mention you can go back to the rescue throughout the animal's life if you have any issues or if you want help bonding another rabbit whereas most pet shops wash their hands of them once they've gone.

I know the reasons but it doesn't mean much to Joe average does it, they want a pet at a decent price, the equation doesn't figure in their empty heads.

littlewonder, you may find that a different rescue would allow you to, if they could meet your children and see that they can behave around the rabbits.

Not all rescues have the same rules.

We had rabbits as children (that my parents bought from a pet shop as was the norm at that time, I'd never buy from a shop again) and whilst I was pretty calm around them for a young child, my sister's rabbit was terrified of her. All children are different and as I say, if they were to meet your kids, a different rescue may, or may not allow it.

They have good reasons for refusal though usually and pet shops are in it for the money made from the animal, not the welfare of that animal so are not going to vet as much as rescues, if at all.

http://www.makeminechocolate.org.uk

It's a common problem with people buying rabbits at Easter and not really thinking it through.

I remember 25 year ago my Nanna buying me a rabbit for Easter. The small balck and white fluff ball ended up being a giant black and white rabbit that was bigger than me! My Mum had to deal with her mainly due to her size and me turning out to be allergic to rabbit fur :( She was called Mitzi and I still remember her fondly today though she did have one hell of a kick!

A lot of the dispute centres around price as well. Many (not all I'm sure) rescues charge a higher fee to adopt than the pet shops.

When looking around rescues I did find the prices in general to be very good. Considering the injections etc, most run at a loss. However I was completely stumped when I asked the price of adopting an 8 year old Weimaraner and was told it was £500. It had been there 4 months and I fully expected it to be there for another 4 months at that price. However I guess they try and gain some money back on the more wanted breeds. I was not bothered about breed as I was looking for a certain size and energy level to fit in with what we wanted. I think some rescues sometimes can forget that people do not adopt a dog just to be nice, they want a dog and they are choosing a rescue over a puppy/ breeder so the price has to match this. I can't even imagine a breeder trying to sell on a returned 8 year old weimaraner for the amount the rescue was asking :hihi:

They have good reasons for refusal though usually and pet shops are in it for the money made from the animal, not the welfare of that animal so are not going to vet as much as rescues, if at all.

Have to agree with this. I do think some rules are silly and it is nice to see that some rescues are more realistic and flexible and that some breeders take who they rehome the puppies to seriously.