Advice re: second cat

Hello, I don't post very often but I am after some help and advice.

I have been thinking that I would like to add a second cat to our household. I have spoken to OH, and whilst he did not dismiss the idea out of hand (who am I kidding, I wear the trousers :hihi:) he does want reassuring about how our cat Tygra will cope.

Tygra is about 10yrs and we have had her for only one - she is my first cat. She is very timid and not a typical playful, inquisitive cat. For instance, we have a room full of small animals that we can leave the door open to and she won't enter (we do close the door when no-one is in the house!). She is more like a lap dog, really.

Now, this is where I am stuck - Is it better to keep Tygra alone? I think she seems quite content with a quiet and laidback lifestyle and another cat would completely upset that. But sometimes, when I see her putting one paw out of the backdoor and then dashing back in, I wonder if maybe a more confident cat may actually help her? It can't be much fun being so scared of the unknown (outside, noises, certain movements, strangers) and isn't she bored?

Also, selfishly and honestly, I would like to have a more 'catty' cat - although I love Tygs to bits and would never do anything to her detriment.

I don't know if Tygra has lived with other cats before - will she be really protective of the house? If we decided to go ahead, would male or female be best? My OH is apparently allergic to kittens (is this possible?) so we would be looking at about a year old+.

Thanks in advance if you can offer any thoughts, advice, experiences.

I'm not too sure myself but you could always try popping in to the Shelter and asking them for advice, as well as seeing if they have anything that might be suitable. See here for info http://www.thesheffieldcatsshelter.org

I've got two cats but I got them at pretty much the same time and a young age so don't know about introducing adult cats. My timid cat was ok when we had a kitten visitor for a few weeks and has learned to live with a dog so maybe anything is possible!

when i got my first cat she was really scared and panicky:loopy: couldn't hold her or anything just liked been on her own,we thought she may be lonely as she lived with her mum and dad and brother,after a year or so we decided to get another kitten when we fetched her home we just plonked her on floor to explore and left it to tinky to investigate her,she was fantastic and even took on the "MOTHER" roll even letting the kitten to try and get milk :hihi: we've had them now for four and five years and the bond between them is sooooo strong if one is missing the other tells you where they are if you don't listen she'll pester you until you look

It may take time depending on your cat but i would just let them get on with it try not to make a big fuss when you get a new kitten just act normal i hope hope this helps have you found a kitten?i know someone who as six i think four girls and a boy good luck

Hey,

we went through this situation not too long ago!

We have Spooky who is 18 and Sparky who is 3months!

They get on most of the time and when Sparky does decide to chase Spooky or swing off her neck she tells him off and most of the time just gives off a loud 'hiss' and he submits and rolls on the floor, the odd time he will get on her nerves and she will give him a few love taps but never with claws out.

Apart from that they have settled in together =]

Have a look see if anything from my thread helps:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=720354

Thanks all ... Your replies have made me feel a lot less guilty for considering this! I really like the idea of going down to the cat shelter and talking to them and scoping out the cats that they have in.

Groovemaster, great photo - beautiful kitties :) Going to have a read through your thread now.

And poohbear, thanks for offer but due to OH's allergy issues we will want a young cat that is out of kittenhood if we go ahead.