Proposed Allotment Rent Increases in Sheffield

It has been proposed to significantly increase the rents for the allotments in the next few years. It is to be discussed at the Allotment Advisory Meeting on 1 March. I can't post the file on here so I've put it online at:

http://a-plot-too-far.blogspot.com/p/proposed-allotment-rent-increases-in.html

If you want to feedback on this you need to contact your Allotment Association, the Sheffield Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Federation, or your local councillor.

Seems like their plan to reduce the waiting lists is to price people out of having allotments.

mmm that did cross my mind too. We've had some interesting responses so far.

At Infield Lane (Private site) we have just increased our rent to £25 per year. It will stay as this now until 2016, this also includes the water rent.

It will then be increased by £5 but only if it is needed. All our plots are roughly 300sqm and we are totally self managed with no outside interference.

I know where I would rather be right now!!

yeah, not sure we'd could self manage at Meersbrook though - there are over 400 plots - it would need to be a fulltime job for someone

would defo prefer to be paying your rent tho ! how do you manage your water usage ?

We have 210 plots and its managed by a small team of volunteers. 200 or 400 its pretty much the same principle.

During the winter we use around 5 tonnes of water per week upto a maximum in the summer of 120 tonnes per week. This is easily covered by the rents leaving the rest for site maintenance.

I personally dont see how they can really justify the increases when we are working proof it doesnt need to cost that much!

They will have you paying vegetable tax next...

I remember what somebody said at the Federation a while ago,it's amazing what you can achieve on an allotment site if you keep the Council out!

definitely food for thought.

Your always welcome to come to the site mc55 and have a look how we do things. send me a PM if you need anymore information.

thanks NP -I might just do that.

I've emailed my local councilors to ojbect so will see what response I get.

At Infield Lane (Private site) we have just increased our rent to £25 per year. It will stay as this now until 2016, this also includes the water rent.

It will then be increased by £5 but only if it is needed. All our plots are roughly 300sqm and we are totally self managed with no outside interference.

I know where I would rather be right now!!

I'm on the same site and have to say with the relaxed rules on Chickens and sheds/green houses combined with our low rents, I love it.

I'm so glad I found this site instead of waiting on the council list, now been here 2 years.

It has been proposed to significantly increase the rents for the allotments in the next few years. It is to be discussed at the Allotment Advisory Meeting on 1 March. I can't post the file on here so I've put it online at:

http://a-plot-too-far.blogspot.com/p/proposed-allotment-rent-increases-in.html

If you want to feedback on this you need to contact your Allotment Association, the Sheffield Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Federation, or your local councillor.

"Significantly"? Really? We have been informed that our rent will be increased from £11.80 to £12.10 a year... I would not call that a significant increase.

Hang on. I just managed to open your link and now I know what you meant by significantly... Crikey. By 2015/16 my rent will be £47.50... from the initial £11.80. And that ist for the smallest plot available and no water access. I wish my salary would go up like that.

Saying all that it still works out pretty cheap (£3.96 a month) if you consider the space you get and what you can get out of it if you make the most of it. And I don't mean just the produce. Also the fun of pottering outside, the excerise, etc... Where my plot is the council regulary supplies fresh mulch and wood cuttings as well and a recent request/ query of mine was handeld very well and quickly indeed.

Maybe they would be some other options, but without looking at it in great detail I couldn't say.

It certainly is interesting and I'll will read the whole link tonight.

Maybe suggestions/ ideas could be made on here to solve the shortfall, because the loss of jobs should always be the last option. This could be an interesting discussion. Looking forward to reading the link you have provided.

Thank you.

Edited by Annette K
more information