Info on Captain Matt Sheppard

I know a Luddite who is researching Captain Matt Sheppard of Sheffield. Unfortunately he only writes letters, but anyone interested in information can write to him at:

John Craddock

9 Plash Drive

Stevenage

SG1 1LW

From the archives:

Texas

I realise this may be pushing it a bit, but is there anyone still around who remembers a guy by the name of Captain Matthew Sheppard? Or as he was known more commonly, Captain 'Matt' Sheppard. I think he lived in Minna Road, Pitsmoor. He was a well known figure in the area, a real gentleman of the old school, with a very Military bearing. I say pushing it, because you would have to be at least 65 or so to remember him.

Harlan

I remember Captain Matt Shepherd always being on the November Remembrance Parade in Barkers Pool wearing his WW1 uniform and medals if I remember correctly.

Texas

Sounds like the man. Always wore a Bowler hat, dark suit, and he had a large moustache. What was his history, do you know?

Harlan

Sorry Texas all I remember is his presence and of course as you say his magnificent moustache,and there was often photographs of him on parade in the Sheffield Telegraph morning newspaper

PopT

After the first world war he gave a lot of support to veterans who couldn't get a job or were crippled because of the war.

As you say a real gent.

Happy days!

Texas

In which branch of the military did he serve, anyone know?

Kirk

I would like to provide some additional info on Captain Matt Shepherd who lived a few doors away from me on Vickers Rd, Firth Park. I last saw him at his home there in 1963 (when he was probably around 85-90 years old) just before I emigrated to South Africa at the age of 21.

The Captain himself was in South Africa during the Boer War and if my memory serves me well I think as a young man he was also at the "Seige of Mafeking" and certainly his home was full of military and other memorabilia from this period. He also had a very tall flagpole installed at the front of the house for running up the "Union Jack" on special occasions.

Even as an old man he retained the impressive bearing I had remembered as a boy and he was truely a gentleman from an earlier Britain and certainly from the Vickers Rd I grew up in. It would be interesting to know more about his life and times?.

KIRK

An old family photo with the caption:

"Margaret In Rose Outfit With Captain Matt Shephard Of The British Legion"

https://flic.kr/p/fDgSFL

Feel free to use it without credit.

Seems to have been quite a " Sheffield Character " born nov 1873 died oct1973  served South Africa with the Imperial Yeomanry - elected as the first conservative councillor for Brightside 1912 pic Sheff Daily Tele 2/11/1912 .

Served in WW1 with the Queens Own Yorkshire Dragoons , awarded MC 1917 - was a fitter by trade

Here an article from January 1917 - a correspondent meets Matt and discusses how he won his MC.

MATT. AND HIS GUN

He had been shot in the thigh in August 1900, at Vereeniging, South Africa, which was where the peace treaty would eventually be signed in May 1902.