Child's first fishing trip

Chelle01

Hi, My son, aged 11 was bought a junior fishing kit for Christmas. My brother has offered to come from out of town to take him fishing, as I know nothing about it and I'm wondering where would be the best place and do we need a permit/ licence? I was thinking perhaps Rivelin, as that' s where he saw people fishing and first expressed an interest.

Thanks for any advice :)

You need a valid Environment Agency Rod Licence if you are aged 12 or over and fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eel in England (except the River Tweed), Wales, and the Border Esk and its tributaries in Scotland.

as your son is only 11 he dnt need 1` only the adult with him will

not sure where you,re from but i take my 8 yr old daughter fishing , she,s got right into it , anyway i would definatley try harlesthorpe dam in clowne , google it ,all the info is on there, fantastic place to learn, its not crammed with carp like some of the commercials, loads of bream to 10lb roach , perch, chub, and a few carp up to 20lb .