Are Semi Contact Martial Arts Dying Out ?

Obviously a few here are in need of a sense of humour transplant regarding my earlier comment!

That video is really a fine example of my underlying point.

I genuinely think it's dangerous to teach semi contact "martial art", predominantly to younger people (kids or teenagers, maybe early 20s) which seem to be the target audience of the more "traditional" martial arts, explain that it's the ultimate super duper fighting style and is too dangerous to do full contact, and make them all think they're superman.

Lets be fair, if they get into a fight with a boxer, they're gonna get seriously hurt, and amongst others, the instructor is going to be to blame (in my eyes).

As for lotar, etc. have said, obviously sparring 150% all the time is lame, and a recipe for pain/injuries, but that isn't what chefkicker was talking about - what I should have said is semi contact martial arts are for wimps. :)

Obviously a few here are in need of a sense of humour transplant regarding my earlier comment!

That video is really a fine example of my underlying point.

I genuinely think it's dangerous to teach semi contact "martial art", predominantly to younger people (kids or teenagers, maybe early 20s) which seem to be the target audience of the more "traditional" martial arts, explain that it's the ultimate super duper fighting style and is too dangerous to do full contact, and make them all think they're superman.

Lets be fair, if they get into a fight with a boxer, they're gonna get seriously hurt, and amongst others, the instructor is going to be to blame (in my eyes).

As for lotar, etc. have said, obviously sparring 150% all the time is lame, and a recipe for pain/injuries, but that isn't what chefkicker was talking about - what I should have said is semi contact martial arts are for wimps. :)

Semi contact martial arts have their place i guess? But people who practise them should be able to recognise that brass is not gold.

Im not going to say that Semi contact martial art is for "wimps" as I know of a big name Semi contact world champion who actually killed someone in a street fight with a single punch. He was cleared of manslaughter and then a few years later arrested for a while for another charge :suspect:

The point I was trying to make is that the semi contact martial arts seem to be dying out as a whole. People are losing interest in them.

Nobody really cares the minute you say "semi contact" .

LOL

Im not going to say that Semi contact martial art is for "wimps" as I know of a big name Semi contact world champion who actually killed someone in a street fight with a single punch.

LOL

to be fair, a drunk could kill with a single punch, its not a real test of your lethality....... its more **** luck.

and as for the vid above, it makes me smile everytime i see it...... cresent kicks love it

to be fair, a drunk could kill with a single punch, its not a real test of your lethality....... its more **** luck.

and as for the vid above, it makes me smile everytime i see it...... cresent kicks love it

i doesn't matter how big or small you are you only get one chance in a real fight weather you do martial arts or not, i did lau gar with graham abdulla for over 12 years, and that did not make me hard.

to use any kick like a axe kick or (cresent kick) kick in a street fight you must be mad because you have got no control over it

Edited by mmitchell

You wish Chefkicker!! If that were true then no-one would care about this video any more! :D :D :D

This video is incorrectly represented .

1. It says "Full contact K-1"

Ha Ha Ha , It was actually a Semi contact contest in a Village Hall with only 100 people watching paying £5 each.

2.It shows 2 rounds :confused: , Where was the middle round??? It was over 3x2 mins.

I suspect some foul play has gone on here. I would like to know who has been fiddling with the video?

Under the BKO, Semi contact titles are over 3x2 mins.

3.It was in 2001 and not 2004 like it incorrectly said. I remember it was during Ramadan and I also remember driving the team to a village in the middle of nowhere.

Back in those days people actually used to bother with Semi contact fighting. Nowadays , most kickboxing clubs AFK in particular simply wont bother and consider it a waste of a day.

Kickboxing really has progressed since then. To be honest, Semi contact fighting was dying off then even as many competitorsa nd clubs (myself and AFK included) soon moved over to Full Contact. This same Village based association was no different and very quickly moved over to Full Contact.

i doesn't matter how big or small you are you only get one chance in a real fight weather you do martial arts or not, i did lau gar with graham abdulla for over 12 years, and that did not make me hard

But all the wax on wax off training as well as Kay-Boon-Saw-Fa you did strengthened your forearms enough to paint and decorate effectively ;)

Crescent kicks score so why not ?

Semi contact scoring system under the BKO was as follows. Punches and leg kicks = 1 point. Body kicks= 2 points , Head kicks = 3 points!!!

Controlled Crescent kicks and hook kicks to the head arent going to hurt but if they land they each score 3 points ;)

Remember its not a fight its a GAME and yes it was a lot of fun but it doesnt really sell tickets. :|