When Castle Market closes, will that end of town 'die'?

R i chy

Well i don't want to get into name calling i will leave that to the rational thinkers,but i am sorry to say you are wrong there was a trading area at the joining of the Don and Sheaf I. E. Castle Gate , 300 years before any castle was built.

Erm, where did you get the above information? I can't find no reference to a market in the area before the castle was built.

The castle aside, I still think pulling the markets down will have a positive impact on the area and if done right, the area could become a well used and thriving hub. At the moment, the area attracts the people that you wouldn't want in an advertisement campaign for your city.

The area is the gateway into the city, from the parkway, so imagine what visitors from outside the city think when they are sudden met with a huge ugly building, surrounded by undesirables and pathetic excuses for shops.

I would love to see a tasteful and creative riverside development, where castlegate is currently. Expose the more important parts of the castle remains with a view of turning it into a park area. Build a few tasteful blocks, for mix residential and office use. And more importantly, find a use for the old town hall and post office, incorporate them into the scheme.

The above would be much better for the area and Sheffield. The area is dead now so no point in flogging a dead horse :)

Edited by Agent Orange

A Large Part of Sheffield will die when the Market goes...

were Really not well off, but when the market does go we will be paying more for food.

admittedly, ive been offered countless numbers of drugs whilst ive been in that area, ive been harrassed by a few perverts and,yes the area is very scruffy.

But the food inside is rather nice, and there are a great number of respectable people who work there.

A Large Part of Sheffield will die when the Market goes...

were Really not well off, but when the market does go we will be paying more for food.

admittedly, ive been offered countless numbers of drugs whilst ive been in that area, ive been harrassed by a few perverts and,yes the area is very scruffy.

But the food inside is rather nice, and there are a great number of respectable people who work there.

But Sheffield will retain it's market, just in a different place to it's current location. Would you rather carry on shopping in a markets that is run down and scruffy, or would you swap that for the same shopping experience in a pleasant and clean environment?

Still, Holds alot of good memorys, I mean the stalls themselves are clean, sure the place might smell and yeah the floor might not be that clean, but the stalls are disinfected and safe so its all good.

either way, theres always gunna be atleast one dealer, cant get rid of them tbh :/

Erm, where did you get the above information? I can't find no reference to a market in the area before the castle was built.

The castle aside, I still think pulling the markets down will have a positive impact on the area and if done right, the area could become a well used and thriving hub. At the moment, the area attracts the people that you wouldn't want in an advertisement campaign for your city.

The area is the gateway into the city, from the parkway, so imagine what visitors from outside the city think when they are sudden met with a huge ugly building, surrounded by undesirables and pathetic excuses for shops.

I would love to see a tasteful and creative riverside development, where castlegate is currently. Expose the more important parts of the castle remains with a view of turning it into a park area. Build a few tasteful blocks, for mix residential and office use. And more importantly, find a use for the old town hall and post office, incorporate them into the scheme.

The above would be much better for the area and Sheffield. The area is dead now so no point in flogging a dead horse :)

Try David Fine History and guide to Sheffiield PAGE 34. ref to a Market on the site in the eleventh century.

See above threads on who i think does not attract people to our city.

You want more office building .,Don,t you think it would be a good idea to fill the block after block of new office buildings that are currently laying empty ,

The area is not dead 80000 people a week use Castle Market ,i find that most detractors on any thread attributed to the Market do not in fact use it and always state that they do not like the people who do.well thats there problem i am sure they are happy at that great Sheffield paradise Meadowhall.

Try David Fine History and guide to Sheffiield PAGE 34. ref to a Market on the site in the eleventh century.

See above threads on who i think does not attract people to our city.

You want more office building .,Don,t you think it would be a good idea to fill the block after block of new office buildings that are currently laying empty ,

The area is not dead 80000 people a week use Castle Market ,i find that most detractors on any thread attributed to the Market do not in fact use it and always state that they do not like the people who do.well thats there problem i am sure they are happy at that great Sheffield paradise Meadowhall.

In it's current use, the area brings shame on the city. The area is not a great advert for the city and has potential to become so much more. I think it would be suicide to keep the markets there. There is no need to keep them there, apart from sentiment.

Oh, I have used the markets numerous times. I like the food on offer there and would happily go to the markets if they moved to another location.

In it's current use, the area brings shame on the city. The area is not a great advert for the city and has potential to become so much more. I think it would be suicide to keep the markets there. There is no need to keep them there, apart from sentiment.

Oh, I have used the markets numerous times. I like the food on offer there and would happily go to the markets if they moved to another location.

I can name you areas of this city that bring more shame on this town than any that arises from Castle Gate but i will not because it will bring the usual response from those who cannot see the wood for the trees

I can name you areas of this city that bring more shame on this town than any that arises from Castle Gate but i will not because it will bring the usual response from those who cannot see the wood for the trees

So, what would you rather they do with the area? Keep the markets and then what?

There is nothing like under-selling the city. There are two nice areas down that part of town: Millsands/top of Wicker and Victoria Quays. The markets/castlegate is right in the middle. The area is prime redevelopment land with the markets just getting in the way. To put it bluntly, they do not fit in with the plans to make the area more upmarket. It might offend you, but that's what I think. Who wants a grotty market in an up and coming area.

So, what would you rather they do with the area? Keep the markets and then what?

There is nothing like under-selling the city. There are two nice areas down that part of town: Millsands/top of Wicker and Victoria Quays. The markets/castlegate is right in the middle. The area is prime redevelopment land with the markets just getting in the way. To put it bluntly, they do not fit in with the plans to make the area more upmarket. It might offend you, but that's what I think. Who wants a grotty market in an up and coming area.

I did not want Victoria Quays [The Canal Basin] What i wanted was a working living boat yard with real people loving there mish mash collection of old boats and all the nostalgia associated with the site.

What have we got in its place a dead sterile imitation that has been turned over to the rich and powerful so as they can look out of there office windows at the ducks.

The same will happen to Castle Gate the people that matter chucked out to satisfy the few.