Water Shortage!

Originally posted by Hippy

I went past Ladybower today and the water level is very very low.

They said on the news last night that we need a couple of months of solid rain for there not to be a problem next summer.

Should we all have water meters so we cut down on our use of water or should the water companies do more?

What does everyone else reckon?

All it needs is for everyone to stop wasting water, there would be plenty if people only used what they needed, these idiots that leave taps running whilst washing or cleaning their teeth. What is the matter with them, why do they need telling everything.!!!

Well I think everyone should be on a water meter (I got one fitted last year).

You certainly start to think about how much you are using when you see the little dial spinning round when you've got the tap on.

Not only that but it saved me £20 a month from the original water rates !!!!

I am on a water meter and have been for the last 5 years.

I must admit that the first 6 months were pretty scary as I had no idea of the volume of water we used. Five years down the line and we use as much water as we want and our bills are more or less half the cost that they used to be.

I do not know what all the fuss about water meters is all about. Political scare tactics me thinks.

Originally posted by mikey

Lou

Ladybower is on the A57 - Snake Pass take Manchester Rd from Crosspool.

Oh OK. Well the reservoir next to the Woodhead Pass is also incredibly low too. Does anyone know the name of that one?

Originally posted by Lou

Oh OK. Well the reservoir next to the Woodhead Pass is also incredibly low too. Does anyone know the name of that one?

There's a few along that road :

Langsett, Woodhead, Underbank, + others.

If it's the one just the otherside of the pass then it's the Woodhead reservoir.

Nomme

Went to the 'Old Carols' sing at The Royal, Dungworth yesterday - one of the last Carol sings in this area. Great time, but the Damflask water level (Bradfield) is just about the lowest that I've ever seen it. Hopefully, the recent rains will help.:o

Originally posted by Lickszz

Also, with regards to the Ladybower, several years ago I recall the water level was so low that you could see the buildings buried beneath. I heard at the time that this was the first time you had been able to see them for many years (which worked out before my time) The funny thing is I am alsmost sure I can recall seeing a church spire before at some point in my life....spooky hey? :o:D

I know this is a very old thread, but exactly what condition are the buildings in? My hubbie remembers seeing the village in the 70's but surely the buildings are no longer intact? The church spire thing seems to have developed into something of a myth as I read a recent article which stated that the church spire was indeed visible at low water in 1947 but was blown up that year as a safety precaution.

Definitely spooky though, as it must be like viewing a graveyard (death of a village), but I would be interested to know from anyone who has seen the village (ruins??) recently exactly what is left intact, if anything.

Done a search, came across this thread...........

Does anyone know any more about this? or where I can find some info on it?

Google images and Wikipedia have some information.

Very little actually now exists of the village, it was all demolished so it's likely only the foundations remain. The spire was left intact for a long period of time despite the church having been demolished and was apparently almost permanently visible above the water level before it was destroyed for safety reasons.

Picture here.