Remember The Old Bulls Head Little Hucklow in the 1970s?

Adelai

To continue...    after discovering the Bulls Head at 'Little Hucklow'  through my Dad knowing the Landlord..  and now thinking back.. this would be the 1960s ... we sat actually behind the bar.. and to the right - into 'The cave'  I then continued to use the pub - driving out of Sheffield for many years.  With girlfriends and also introducing mates  - we enjoyed  its quintessential English village pub  atmosphere with the open fires - low beams and horse brasses.   Then on to the 'Queen Anne'  Great Hucklow...  our furthest call was the 'Wanted inn'  at Sparrowpit. . quite a drive. !   My last visit to the Bulls head would be out on 'L' driving practice for my Son..  so that would be around 2002.    Strangely.. the Landlord - Bernard - when asked if he'd like a drink... would enjoy a Babycham !...     Dj.

14 hours ago, oscar2157 said:

To continue...    after discovering the Bulls Head at 'Little Hucklow'  through my Dad knowing the Landlord..  and now thinking back.. this would be the 1960s ... we sat actually behind the bar.. and to the right - into 'The cave'  I then continued to use the pub - driving out of Sheffield for many years.  With girlfriends and also introducing mates  - we enjoyed  its quintessential English village pub  atmosphere with the open fires - low beams and horse brasses.   Then on to the 'Queen Anne'  Great Hucklow...  our furthest call was the 'Wanted inn'  at Sparrowpit. . quite a drive. !   My last visit to the Bulls head would be out on 'L' driving practice for my Son..  so that would be around 2002.    Strangely.. the Landlord - Bernard - when asked if he'd like a drink... would enjoy a Babycham !...     Dj.

Thank you for sharing these memories - how wonderful that you've enjoyed visiting the pubs in the area over the years. Our plan is to open later this month so we hope you might visit Little Hucklow again soon!

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/07/2020 at 22:29, oscar2157 said:

Thank you.... we most certainly will visit .... and send  you all the best.. of 'good wishes' for the opening.. keep well and .. Cheers' ..from Dj. Sheffield.

Thank you so much for your kind wishes Dj - we are now open so hope to see you soon! 

• 5 weeks later...

Just spotted this and I remember the Bulls Head, Foolow as a group of friends all toured the old Derbyshire pubs in the late 70's - did they have some fishing nets suspended from the ceiling or is my memory playing tricks? There was also another great pub up the back streets at Bradwell - The Bowling Green. I have fond memories of Theakston's Old Peculiar on tap! 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on opening TheBullsHead again.I tied to buy the pub about 7yrs ago but was quoted £300,000,I offered £150,000 which was all it was worth considering the state of the place,and we were going to spend £100,000,some on the pub but most of it on the Piggery across the road in which we were going to live but the offer was rejected .I have had pubs all my life and we had the money in the bank from the sale of our last pub.We were going to clean the pub up and keep it as it was but open the upstairs as well.We didn't intend to do food just homemade Scotch eggs,Sos Rolls,Pies etc.and Pork Pies from NethergateButchers(Hancocks) in Stoney Middleton.My wife was an excellent cook.It was a retirement project so we were just going to open Thur.- Sunday and have some fun at the same time.if I remember correctly,I ended up dealing with a female solicitor in Manchester.I probably still have the correspondence somewhere.I will dig it out and let you have it,would probably make interesting reading.I got the impression the owners were holding out for residential planning permission.Anyway we just hung up our saddles and retired.Best thing we ever did.Happy Days.

• 1 year later...

The old bulls head Little  Hucklow.

What memories I have of that pub  I had my 21st birthday in the cave, 12 november 1964. the landlord  was John stacey unfortunatly Icant remember John wifes name,She was a lecturer at pond st collage and my then girl friend was a student there.  We eventully found it and it  became our local,  15 miles from home.I spent a lot of money in that pub.but a lot more in petrol to get there. We were to be found in there every Friday Saturday and Sunday and had some very hairy trips back home to Millhouses,even the snow didnt put us off.I have wonderful memories of all the special cars myself and my mates drove,all the lads were characters and laughs were guaranteed.Happy days.

Regards

Brian.

26 minutes ago, Brian Hardy said:

The old bulls head Little  Hucklow.

What memories I have of that pub  I had my 21st birthday in the cave, 12 november 1964. the landlord  was John stacey unfortunatly Icant remember John wifes name,She was a lecturer at pond st collage and my then girl friend was a student there.  We eventully found it and it  became our local,  15 miles from home.I spent a lot of money in that pub.but a lot more in petrol to get there. We were to be found in there every Friday Saturday and Sunday and had some very hairy trips back home to Millhouses,even the snow didnt put us off.I have wonderful memories of all the special cars myself and my mates drove,all the lads were characters and laughs were guaranteed.Happy days.

Regards

Brian.

A Morgan by any chance .

Hi Cuttsie

Several nice cars including Triumph TR3A,(£120.00) Jaguar XK150(£120.00) Jaguar MK11 3.8 (£300.00) E Type Jag (£400.00) 1932 Ford V8 which I rebuilt but initial price was £ 12.10 shillings and for my 21st birthday I had a mini van which came in handy having lots of room in the back if you get my drift!!!!!!!!!

Bri

Good God, the very mention of that collection makes me envious , Although I have had Jags and MGA's and B's .

I also had a Wolsey ex cop car in the early 60's complete with bell , forget the model but got it from a garage at Crookes on Heavygate Road  £35 it was .