Exercise the fat!

Got any evidence for this ludicrous claim?

There is no way that you would need to run 15 miles to lose half a pound of fat.

With regards the evidence - I got class members who are giving me the feedback based on one session a week, which is on the website below.

With the class members who train on a regular basis - many have lost a stone in a month, indeed one of them lost 35 pounds in 12 weeks

There is no way that you would need to run 15 miles to lose half a pound of fat.

If you burnt more that half a pound by running 15 miles I would be nothing more than skin and bones by now!

A quick search found this in the Guardian:

"A study in the Journal Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise [2004] found that the average energy expenditure for running a mile was 113 calories, while the average for walking was 81 calories. But given that running is faster than walking, you'll cover more ground in the same amount of time, and therefore burn more energy overall."

So 15 miles would be 1,695 calories. Half a pound would, in theory need 1,750 calories.

With regards the evidence - I got class members who are giving me the feedback based on one session a week, which is on the website below.

With the class members who train on a regular basis - many have lost a stone in a month, indeed one of them lost 35 pounds in 12 weeks

Interesting, but feedback from class members doesn't really compete with proper research published in a reputable medical journal. You'll see figures of 100 to 125 calories burned per mile of running time and time again, backed up by many studies.

To lose a stone in a month from exercise alone you would have to run nearly 15 miles every day!! It simply doesn't add up.

Ultimatley, people come to the fitness sessions to get results and thats what they get.

Apart from the 'size 16 to 12 in 8 weeks' on the website (that person has moved away), all the other claims can be verified by current class members themselves.

Why do you think it is unfeasable to lose a stone in a month? surely if the workout is delivering the results (class members are paying to see results) then it represents good value for money.

Ultimatley, people come to the fitness sessions to get results and thats what they get.

Apart from the 'size 16 to 12 in 8 weeks' on the website (that person has moved away), all the other claims can be verified by current class members themselves.

Why do you think it is unfeasable to lose a stone in a month? surely if the workout is delivering the results (class members are paying to see results) then its not a bad thing.

It is possible to lose a stone in a month, but your member will have been dieting. Probably crash dieting at that! You shouldn't be proud that you are helping people to lose a stone in a month - you should be concerned. It's well above the recommended maximum rate of weight loss and may have serious health implications. You should know this!!

I see no point in being diplomatic - you sound like a quack, and a dangerous one at that. You give out inaccurate and irresponsible advice/info on this forum, you have no idea or the true calorific demands of the exercise (surely a basic in your line of work), and you champion dangerous rates of weight loss.

I hope you're well insured.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

In you do the correct type of workout, you will lose the weight.

Not one of the class members has suffered any side effects, the only changes seen are increased energy levels, looking and feeling better.

Just because something delivers the results that it says on the advertising literature doesn't mean it is dangerous

With regards anything the government experts say, you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Despite all the money thrown at the obesity problem, the obesity problem is getting worse

Edited by Shef_Fitness

If anyone is interested in learning to hula hoop I'm teaching classes over the summer in Sheffield - contact me for more info!

Not one of the class members has suffered any side effects, the only changes seen are increased energy levels, looking and feeling better.

Just because something delivers the results that it says on the advertising literature doesn't mean it is dangerous

With regards anything the government experts say, you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Despite all the money thrown at the obesity problem, the obesity problem is getting worse

I’ve enough on worrying about calories and exercise, without getting into the problems of Sodium intake.:D

Meanwhile...

I’ve just been trying to reconcile weight loss with exercise rates.

I’ve read that a trained athlete can produce 2.5 hp for a short period (but only around 0.3 hp for a long period). This was a Wikipedia reference, and a comment by Chris Hoy.

Now 2.5 hp is equivalent to approx 1600 kcals/hour.

So, a trained athlete (assuming he could keep up this level of output for 1 hour, which of course he cannot), would burn up 1600 kcals in 1 hour. (If we go back to the notional “running 15 miles” being equivalent to 1600 to 1700 kcals, then this sort of fits in. The top long distance runners cannot achieve 15 miles in one hour, ie they cannot maintain 1600 kcals for 1 hour).

It is usually taken that approx 3500 kcals is equivalent to 1lb of fat. So each 1 hour work out (by someone already better than the best athletes in the world) equates to 1600/3500 = 0.46 lb per session. At one one hour session per week, this is less than 2 lb per month which could be attributed to the exercise sessions. Even allowing something for the short term increase in metabolic rate immediately after the exercise, there is no way that these exercise sessions alone can achieve the weight loss claimed on the website.

Feel free to comment on my calculations, anybody, as I’m trying to understand this better, and may have got some basic calculations wrong.

Avoid soft drinks, greasy food , and keep moving (not to spend lots of times on the sofa).

I've been wondering, if I have fat on my belly, but work out my arms, will it affect my belly?

How does it work? :huh:

Fat will only go where it wants to. I'm of an athelete body fat and still carry a gut...How do I change it?? I cant, it's there for a reason as fuel.

Be happy with what you got, not with what you haven't.

The guys I work out with only look good when they stick to a very strict diet, which is hard to maintain day in and day out.

Keep it real and stop reading daft magazines with false information.

Oh and if you're doing it for the ladies then see how this grabs you. A guy we know is very large, happy and confident. He's the first one to pull and the longest to keep a relationship. Think about it...

Edited by Tipex

Have to disagree on this one sorry :( I'm weaker, tired and more miserable now, than what I was fatter.

I also noticed a greater increase in body fat dropping when eating fatty foods once a week.

Just like those people who swear by being ''too clean'' Your body needs abit of crap either way.