Duke of darnall

My memory may be playing tricks with me but I believe the murdered prostitute, Russian Edna lived either with or in the same house as the Duke

yes russian edna did lodge at his house and his real name was harry taylor he was deaf and dumb from birth he also married a deaf and dumb lady and they had a daughter and she was ok . he was my great uncle. my mother is still alive shes 90 now and can recall many stories about him some of which are very amusing

the terminology "deaf and dumb" is not a nice phrase to use, as "dumb has connotations of being "stupid" more than "mute".

the terminology "deaf and dumb" is not a nice phrase to use, as "dumb has connotations of being "stupid" more than "mute".

dont talk daft I have deaf and dumb mates and they are not offended by the phrase ? Its been used for as long as I can remember....

Edited by pigeon
spelling

dont talk daft I have deaf and dumb mates and they are not offended by the phrase ? Its been used for as long as I can remember....

Well said pigeon. The expression was used by the duke's great niece in a very respectful manner. Too many people getting offended on behalf of others.

No, it is offensive I have deaf in-laws, and they, and many within the deaf community are offended by the connotations of using the word "dumb". It's as offensive as describing me as "wheelchair-bound". I'm not "wheelchair bound". I may rely on a wheelchair to get out and about, but I'm certainly not not tethered to it.

Edited by Plain Talker
to add two words, "they and"

Well said pigeon. The expression was used by the duke's great niece in a very respectful manner. Too many people getting offended on behalf of others.

thanks for saying that . the 1881 census states that he was deaf and dumb . dumb meaning he couldnt speak.

thanks for saying that . the 1881 census states that he was deaf and dumb . dumb meaning he couldnt speak.
I had a family member who was described in the 1891 census as a "Lunatic". This would be offensive nowadays, but we're talking history here.

I had a family member who was described in the 1891 census as a "Lunatic". This would be offensive nowadays, but we're talking history here.

very true banker

theres a feature length film about him, it was on telly a couple of months ago

what station was that on then will try to find it

I remember him very well what a great character, Its mentioned here that people have loads of memories, please get them written down, these arereal memories and history. R holt