Community care grants

can anyone give advise please ? my mum is a single parent on benefits and has multiple health issues including arthritis, and recently been diagnosed with incontinence, (which on its own effects her every day living, day and night) iv advised her to claim for a community care grant, ( she doesnt qualify for loans) for replacing, mattress, bedding, and perhaps the cost of a washer dryer, would she actually qualify, because when shes previously claimed for items for disability ie shower seat, grab bars, ramp, shes been refused and told to get an assessment and the items provided from nhs...it has put her off from claiming again as shes scared of being refused....

thanks for any advise.....

can anyone give advise please ? my mum is a single parent on benefits and has multiple health issues including arthritis, and recently been diagnosed with incontinence, (which on its own effects her every day living, day and night) iv advised her to claim for a community care grant, ( she doesnt qualify for loans) for replacing, mattress, bedding, and perhaps the cost of a washer dryer, would she actually qualify, because when shes previously claimed for items for disability ie shower seat, grab bars, ramp, shes been refused and told to get an assessment and the items provided from nhs...it has put her off from claiming again as shes scared of being refused....

tell her to apply an she will get rufused but appeal i did an i won an i know few people that appealed an always won tell her to put a contact phone number on end of letter telling them, to phone her thats what i did

Community Care Grants are usually to assist people settling or re-settling into the community ( i.e from prison , after being homeless , re-locating etc ). It is always worth applying for anything from the DWP as you could get a sympathetic decision maker ( and it is down to one person's interpretation of the claim details ). I am not sure the circumstances described come under CCGs , but its worth trying as there is nothing to lose. Explain that the claimants ability to remain in their home ( and therefore remain self sufficient in the community ) is under threat if the money needed is not received.

Incidentally why are they not eligible for loans from the DWP? Do you mean they have already borrowed their limit? When people are turned down for a CCG they are usually referred for a Budgeting or Crisis loan if appropriate.

I was also wondering why she cannot have a Budgeting loan if she is on benefits.

I thought that everybody on benefits could get a Budgeting loan and repay the loan by having it stopped from there benefits.

maybe she as reached her limit but she will definetly get a community care grant if she does what i say x

thanx for info....i believe that shes up to her limit with s.f loans...

Just to let billo know, ppl on benefits are not entitled to a budgeting loan untill they have been in reciept of benefits for 26 weeks, they will be flatly refused on these grounds if they havnt been in reciept for this lenght of time. They will be advised to try a crisis loan and normally will be refused 1st time but ALWAYS ALWAYS appeal it, and id say 8 out of 10 then get granted. Community care grants are now extremely difficult to get and tbh with what your saying your mother doesnt qualify as she doesnt fit the criteria, but you can always give it a go, but please be aware that the likely hood of getting it approoved is very slim and as you say your mum's worried about getting refused again id say think first.

I used to work for the department so know how things go, i left as i thought the whole system was a dam joke, they help ppl who dont deserve it and the ones who genuinly do get pushed to the back of the cue.

just to let you know that she has actuall got refused for everything, but shes wrote and asked for them to look at it again....

It might be better for your mum to get an assessment from the Physical disabilities team in the council. Ring Sheffield City council and say you wnat to make a self referral for a social work assessment and they will put you or your mum through. Good luck