Favourite gaming console you've ever owned/played on?

In that case, may I suggest a Raspberry Pi 3 and the latest Retropie distro.

All (retro) consoles in one tiny, funky-in-a-PC-way unit, cheaper than any actual console (including most functional retro ones by now) and which is tinkerable and re-purposable at will.

I've since ditched the S7800B, battery life was just too lamentable. Recently got a Pi 3 B for an arcade project (a 'JammaPi' board) and it's my newfound retrogaming love. Does everything the S7800B did (except in tablet form of course), but better and cheaper by 2/3rds.

Check out the crt-pi shader if you haven't already.

Check out the crt-pi shader if you haven't already.
Thanks for the heads up altus, but...I'll be feeding 15Khz' worth of genuine, analogue, CRT arcade monitor goodness here: software or hardware artificial scanlines not needed :)

The trick is in tweaking the Pi's config for 240p res (already done) and finding the right digital HDMI to analogue VGA converter (already done).

The VGA converter feeds an analogue d-sub on a JPAC, the JPAC feeds analogue RGB to the tube through the Jamma/MVS harness.

Edited by L00b

Thanks for the heads up altus, but...I'll be feeding 15Khz' worth of genuine, analogue, CRT arcade monitor goodness here: software or hardware artificial scanlines not needed :)

The trick is in tweaking the Pi's config for 240p res (already done) and finding the right digital HDMI to analogue VGA converter (already done).

The VGA converter feeds an analogue d-sub on a JPAC, the JPAC feeds analogue RGB to the tube through the Jamma/MVS harness.

Nice. As you're not using shaders, I assume you'll be using the dispmanx video driver to avoid the extra lag associated with the gl one.

Nice. As you're not using shaders, I assume you'll be using the dispmanx video driver to avoid the extra lag associated with the gl one.
Not enough of a purist to bother I'm afraid, and my reflexes aren't that sharp any longer anyway ;)

Still waiting on the GS8100 to arrive at this time, and the Jamma 2x26 pin slot + biscuit (intending to make a Jamma pass-through adapter with soldered 5v supply to micro-USB plug for powering the lot, hopefully there's enough juice on the cab PSU 5V rail).

Topically, got a cheap-as-chips OUYA console recently (i/of the Madcatz Mojo), and finally got time to root it (CM11) last night and load KODI + a few emus. Emulation-wise, similar to slightly higher performance level to the JXD 7800B tablet I got earlier on, it's the same hardware (ARM7 + Tegra) minus a touchscreen screen and battery to bother with.

Not really a retro console, though it is technically defunct (OUYA went bust, assets bought up by Razer) and mostly used by owners for retrogaming :)