I'm going to try something new every week

I've been eating jerusalem artichokes this week, boiled until nearly soft, then roasted with lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Delicious!

My friend grows them and sometimes passes a few on to me. They do have a certain windy reputation though! ;)

I'm having roast pollock with pesto risotto tonight. I've probably eaten pollock in the past but I don't remember ever cooking it before.

I'm making mini banana and peanut butter muffins tomorrow...

Went to my first Japanese restaurant last week in Edinburgh and really enjoyed it.

We had no idea what to try or how to eat it but the waiter was really helpful and suggested we just pick between 4-7 dishes off the menu that we fancied and if we wanted more then we could have. We had tempura prawn, avocado, cucumber and mayo gaijin-zushi which was rolled out rice with filling, pickled ginger and wasabi; ika kaaage which was deep fried squid with lemon; yaki hotate which was scallops in ginger and orange; takoyaki, deep fried octopus balls and finally beef and ****ake teriyaki.

Really enjoyed the whole experience, getting different dishes and just trying them out. They were all delicious and light. We'll definitely be going Japanese again.

Edited by taxman
Stupid swear filter - think Japanese mushroom!

We'll definitely be going Japanese again.

You really should! Wasabisabi is amazing!

I've been eating jerusalem artichokes this week, boiled until nearly soft, then roasted with lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Delicious!

I recently tried these for the first time. I just scrubbed them and roasted for 40 mins or so. I thought they were delicious - even without seasoning. So sweet! Defo doing them again!

I had a culinary adventure this weekend. Cooked a pigs head (I asked nicely first) on Friday. The butcher had left in the brains and I'd never had them before so I fried them off too . . . really nice and creamy. Then I bought some razor clams from the Chinese supermarket on Saturday and steamed them with some wine, garlic, butter and parsley, a bit like you would mussels. Again, very nice though I think they'd suit the ginger/ chilli treatment better. Huge amounts for a tenner though.

I had a culinary adventure this weekend. Cooked a pigs head (I asked nicely first) on Friday. The butcher had left in the brains and I'd never had them before so I fried them off too . . . really nice and creamy. Then I bought some razor clams from the Chinese supermarket on Saturday and steamed them with some wine, garlic, butter and parsley, a bit like you would mussels. Again, very nice though I think they'd suit the ginger/ chilli treatment better. Huge amounts for a tenner though.

Ooooo this all sounds very exciting! Not sure I'm up for cooking a pigs head yet - I'd happily eat it but don't know if I could deal with the faff of cooking it. Razor clams sound manageable though - I may have to add them to the 'Things To Cook' list!

You really should! Wasabisabi is amazing!

Just read your blog about Wasabisabi, looks very good.

Just read your blog about Wasabisabi, looks very good.

Cool! It's easily one of my favourite restaurants in Sheffield.

Trying something new again tonight, Dab!

Trying something new again tonight, Dab!

The Dab was lovely, much nicer than lemon sole.