I'm going to try something new every week

taxman

• 4 weeks later...

Not tried anything new for ages so got myself some oxtail today.

I've had it before but years ago, my Grandma used to cook it because it was cheap. I just recall some stew with meat falling off the bone.

I intend to do something similar with garlic, yellow pepper and mushroom cooked long and slow.

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Not tried anything new for ages so got myself some oxtail today.

I've had it before but years ago, my Grandma used to cook it because it was cheap. I just recall some stew with meat falling off the bone.

I intend to do something similar with garlic, yellow pepper and mushroom cooked long and slow.

Likewise I'd not had it for years but I gave it a go a couple of years ago and it's something we now have quite often, particularly over the winter months. This is good recipe. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/papardelle-with-oxtail-ragu-1832816.html

Likewise I'd not had it for years but I gave it a go a couple of years ago and it's something we now have quite often, particularly over the winter months. This is good recipe. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/papardelle-with-oxtail-ragu-1832816.html

Cheers, I did mine in the oven for about 3 hours with good stock, red wine, onion and mushrooms.

It tasted great and most of the meat just fell off the bone. Any that didn't I just gnawed off because that is why we have teeth :)

• 1 month later...

This is an inspired thread you started Taxman. I love how you are so into your food and so open minded about trying new stuff all the time. I've always been a bit like this too - love trying new stuff. Cuttlefish was my most recent - cooked it oriental stir-fry style, with a couple of dessertspoonsful of a strange but delicious minced chilli and whole peanut sauce in chilli oil that I bought from the Chinese supermarket, threw in a few oriental veggies, like beansprouts, water-chestnuts, sliced mushrooms, baby sweetcorn, spring onions - added a splash of soy sauce, an eggcupful of dry sherry, a couple of glugs of oyster sauce, then dished it up on a bed of plain egg noddles. It was bloody delish!

I'd also be interested to know if you have any Jamaican friends? I reckon you'd get well into Jamaican food. I know you You didn't like yam much, but you seem impressed by goat meat and plantain. I wonder if you've ever tried jerk chicken/fish/pork, escoveitch fish, mackerel run-down, boiled green bananas, breadfruit, dasheen, cho-cho, bammi, ackee and saltfish? You can get all of this stuff in Castle Market.

I've visited Jamaica a few times with a Brit-born friend of Jamaican heritage and stayed with family, well away from all the touristy areas. The food just totally blew me away.... I even liked the yam... both white yam and yellow yam... although I admit it's bloody hard work and you need a lot of gravy to moisten it and soften it up a bit!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks FIRETHORN1.

I have to admit I've not been trying much different and new stuff lately. I seem to have drifted into cooking old favourites rather than experimenting. I've also been trying different homemade soups as well as cutting the carbs a little.

Glad you enjoyed the cuttlefish. I was in Greece a couple of weeks ago and wanted to have some but none of the local fishermen land it anymore so the restaurants didn't stock it.

I haven't tried the Jamaican food you mentioned. I have had ceviche before, which is apparently similar to escoveitch.

I think a trip down to Ozmen on London Road might be needed soon to spark my spirit of discovery again.

I did fondant potatoes for the first time last week. I always see them trying to cook them on Masterchef but they usually fail miserably. Mine were wonderful.

Tonight I'm trying samphire for the first time.

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 17:33 ----------

Had wild boar last night for the first time, gorgeous but suffered for it today. Ate too much and it felt like I'd eaten an entire hog.

Xenophily Cafe sells mutton kebabs as they are a Syrian delicacy so if you want to try Mutton come on down we are on 655 Ecclesall Road (amazing meat). Our menu is under the photos on our tripadvisor page.

Oh, are you a Syrian restaurant? I've driven past, just thought it was an ordinary cafe.

Had goat tonight. It was alright but nothing special and a lot of it bone and fat. For both value and taste I think I'd rather have mutton or beef shin.

Edited by taxman

• 3 weeks later...

Cooked turbot for the first time last night, roasted whole then filleted.

It was lovely.

Whilst I prepared the fillets for myself and my squeamish partner I was able to indulge in the tasty head and cheek meat and the roe!

• 4 weeks later...

Red Snapper.

Bought a foot long fillet from Simmonites for just £3 and had it steam baked on a bed of ratatouille, wonderful. Can't believe it was so cheap.