6th form student looking for the first job

Hello. I am a 6th form student and during my usual week I have quite a lot of free time. Because I could use this time in more productive way I would like to find a job. Maybe it would also make it easier to find something when I will be studying at uni. However, during summer, when I did not have that much of spare time, my brother was looking for a job himself with pretty bad results. No results at all actually.

The whole advice I would like to get from other forum members is just a list of job agencies or organisations that could help me in finding apropriate work placement. When my brother was looking for a job (he's at the same age so the situation would be the same in my case) the biggest issue was to find job agencies. He basically contacted 3 or 2 agencies because we do not know more. I would like to get more information on what agencies would take my application into serious consideration. A list of few agencies or organisations that would help a yound person in such job searching would be probably most helpful.

It would be nice if you could also give me some advice about how to create a proper CV. In other topic forum member theHooker stated that CVs should show that a person has some passion and really wants to do a specific job. Well, this is not really helpful in my case since at my age ANY* job would nice. Obviously some paper work would be better than cleaning toilets but let's get real - with my experience (or complete lack of it if you prefer;)) I am much closer to become a toilet cleaner than anything else.

* - bearing in mind that after coming back from work I would have to be able to keep a pen or pencil in my hand and concentrate for one hour or two to do homework and learn a bit

Thank you in advance!

Good luck, i've been trying for 2 years. What a time to start in the jobs world eh?

I must admit people in our age bracket have got major problems, we're in the worst recession since the 20's and there is no jobs going. This will have some major knock on effects in a few years.

I just cant imagine what people are going to do when they will go to Uni (and how many people will not even go there because they cant afford it without part time jobs) and finally graduate. I am very interested what young people at out age will do with university degrees but without ANY work experience...

Still I am looking for some info or help. I just need to know more job agencies around Sheffield. That will do for me. I was looking around the web but I am bad at searching for those things so there has to be a plenty of agencies that I missed. Just a small list, please.;)

Don,t use agencies, just put together a CV (you can search a website on how to do one) Meadowhall have load of shops advertising for staff at the moment, drop in your CV. Good Luck!

I just cant imagine what people are going to do when they will go to Uni (and how many people will not even go there because they cant afford it without part time jobs) and finally graduate. I am very interested what young people at out age will do with university degrees but without ANY work experience...

Why will they not have any work experience?

There are jobs out there regardless of what anyone says! Loads of part-time too! I turned 16, had a part-time weekend/holiday job at Wilkinsons while I was doing my 2 years of Alevels at college. When i turned 18 on-top of that i got a bar-job at owlerton stadium too. Then when i finished college i got full time work. Try agencies, i had a job at freemans through adecco, stuck that out 7 months then got a job through blue arrow at DSGi and love it there :)

@Ducky1 - thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

@ukstudent - well assuming there are no work placements many students will have no work experience because... because they didnt work? Or aybe it is too simple to come to such conclusion reading my post..

@Chloe091 - I believe that people might be over panicing about how hard it is for a person at my age to find a job but I know quite many people who have problems with it just like me and my brother. Recently I have not much time to visit agencies etc so I will first have to organise other tings. Then I will try to search ofr a work placement again.

I guess Meadowhall is my best chance right now.

There are jobs out there regardless of what anyone says! Loads of part-time too! I turned 16, had a part-time weekend/holiday job at Wilkinsons while I was doing my 2 years of Alevels at college. When i turned 18 on-top of that i got a bar-job at owlerton stadium too. Then when i finished college i got full time work. Try agencies, i had a job at freemans through adecco, stuck that out 7 months then got a job through blue arrow at DSGi and love it there :)

Well done Chloe; if you represent the attitude of young people, there is hope for UK PLC.

You have a bright future with your 'go to' approach; the very best of luck to you.

Hello. I am a 6th form student and during my usual week I have quite a lot of free time. Because I could use this time in more productive way I would like to find a job. Maybe it would also make it easier to find something when I will be studying at uni. However, during summer, when I did not have that much of spare time, my brother was looking for a job himself with pretty bad results. No results at all actually.

The whole advice I would like to get from other forum members is just a list of job agencies or organisations that could help me in finding apropriate work placement. When my brother was looking for a job (he's at the same age so the situation would be the same in my case) the biggest issue was to find job agencies. He basically contacted 3 or 2 agencies because we do not know more. I would like to get more information on what agencies would take my application into serious consideration. A list of few agencies or organisations that would help a yound person in such job searching would be probably most helpful.

It would be nice if you could also give me some advice about how to create a proper CV. In other topic forum member theHooker stated that CVs should show that a person has some passion and really wants to do a specific job. Well, this is not really helpful in my case since at my age ANY* job would nice. Obviously some paper work would be better than cleaning toilets but let's get real - with my experience (or complete lack of it if you prefer;)) I am much closer to become a toilet cleaner than anything else.

* - bearing in mind that after coming back from work I would have to be able to keep a pen or pencil in my hand and concentrate for one hour or two to do homework and learn a bit

Thank you in advance!

I would look at John Lewis. I went there for work experience when I was 16, then started part time and once I left school they took me on full time.

The wages aren't great, but they do look after their staff. Also, you get to be much more confident with the general public which helps with future experience. Although they have the members of staff that have been there 20 years or so, they seem to take on A LOT of young people.

That's where my career started and I'm grateful for the opportunity they offered me. Now would be a good time to apply as they always employ temporary staff in the run up to Christmas.

as a student, you can find a job like tutor, teaching pupils

or you can try to be a waiter

Thanks for contribution people. I will treat your suggestions seriously.

@seess - I guess I have not enough patience to look after kids or even talk with them. Maybe it's because I was a very silent and 'polite' kid and I think all people at young age should be like that.:rolleyes: