Retired Greyhounds

GrinderBloke

I'm not a regular attender but I have been to a number of dog tracks over the years including Walthamstow and Romford and I've never seen anything like that. I'm not even sure how that could happen?

Snapped spine, it happens quite a lot. My mum worked in a vets near a flapping track where, how delightful, they don't need a vet on the track, and she dealt with people who drove unanaesthetised hounds 3 -4 miles to the vet with a broken spine. I have nothing but disgust for these people

Flapping tracks in England now have vets at the track as from April this year. Not law in Scotland yet. There are cases of dogs being given drugs [even one at Owlerton has been tested positive for cocaine], at flapping tracks people can do whatever they like, no rules.

skyandmac, you shouldn't have to be 'outed' on this forum. You're entitled to your privacy just as 'lemongrass' is. Perhaps they'd like to reveal who they are as well?

I should think that most people think you're doing a very worthwhile job with the rehoming. Don't let these people intimidate you. If you have any problems don't hesitate to use the Help and Contact Us button to inform Admin.

I'm sure you're all just as dedicated to animals and their welfare, just have different ways of demonstrating it.

Oh, and by the way 'rubydazzler', it's a very lucky greyhound that gets the chance of a retirement home...a lot of them are put to sleep at a young age as their owners do not want to pay for vet treatment if they get injured, a very common occurance!

Around 4,000 a year (a very conservative estimate), and that just through the licensed tracks

Flapping tracks in England now have vets at the track as from April this year. Not law in Scotland yet. There are cases of dogs being given drugs [even one at Owlerton has been tested positive for cocaine], at flapping tracks people can do whatever they like, no rules.

Ah, yes, you're right on that and I accept I was wrong. Up until April this year flapping tracks didn't need an on-track vet. They now do.

rubydazzler, I have said NOTHING insulting to anyone, just putting my opinion forward. Skyand mac 'outed' himself. He posts on the 'Greyhoundscene' pro racing site so most people who have an interest in the welfare of these dogs knows who he is. It's obvious to me that you are unaware of the dark facts in the world of racing. The industry promotes itself as a good night out, look behind the scenes and find out the truth...you will be unpleasantly surprised.

Snapped spine, it happens quite a lot. My mum worked in a vets near a flapping track where, how delightful, they don't need a vet on the track, and she dealt with people who drove unanaesthetised hounds 3 -4 miles to the vet with a broken spine. I have nothing but disgust for these people
I'm talking about proper dog racing tracks not unregulated shady amateur set-ups. Even the big tracks are all gradually closing down, so it's a sport on its last legs anyway. I'm not even sure if Sheffield track still operates, Walthamstow is definitely gone.

I'm being drawn into an argument about something I'm not that involved in anyway, but it seems that anything people enjoy these days there's always some killjoys want to have it banned. Eventually we'll be limited to playing word games just in case someone gets hurt by a flying snap card!

rubydazzler, I have said NOTHING insulting to anyone, just putting my opinion forward. Skyand mac 'outed' himself. He posts on the 'Greyhoundscene' pro racing site so most people who have an interest in the welfare of these dogs knows who he is. It's obvious to me that you are unaware of the dark facts in the world of racing. The industry promotes itself as a good night out, look behind the scenes and find out the truth...you will be unpleasantly surprised.
The reason people have user names, much like yourself, is because on a public board they might value their right to privacy. You've breached that confidence in a totally unwarranted way, and taken the entire thread off topic, and I think that's very wrong.

Perhaps you'd like to 'out' yourself now?

ETA: I've reported my own post btw so the mods can keep an eye on developments on this thread.

Edited by rubydazzler
add a bit on the end

skyandmac, you shouldn't have to be 'outed' on this forum. You're entitled to your privacy just as 'lemongrass' is. Perhaps they'd like to reveal who they are as well?

I should think that most people think you're doing a very worthwhile job with the rehoming. Don't let these people intimidate you. If you have any problems don't hesitate to use the Help and Contact Us button to inform Admin.

I'm sure you're all just as dedicated to animals and their welfare, just have different ways of demonstrating it.

Thanks for that, however I am not ashamed of who I am and as I pointed out always put my name at bottom of my posts (something a lot don't do).

I am a vegetarian because of my beliefs, but am not a vegan which means I am partly responsible for the killing of two day old male dairy calves. Now that is something I could feel guilty over.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and we should all be mature enough to respect that, but you are right that the killjoys who want a nanny state where most things are banned are definitely very vocal.

Kev

I'm talking about proper dog racing tracks not unregulated shady amateur set-ups. Even the big tracks are all gradually closing down, so it's a sport on its last legs anyway. I'm not even sure if Sheffield track still operates, Walthamstow is definitely gone.

Yes the Sheffield one is still operating, but the industry is dying. Walthamstow is one of several that have closed recently. The industry has reported a 13% reduction in both betting and attendance in the last 12 months, so that's very good news