Sign in to follow this  

Information wanted about becoming a Police Officer

My best friend is wanting to become a police officer. Is there anybody on the board that is one already and can tell me a bit more about it. Like is the pay good and do you enjoy it? are the hours bad? Please help he would really appreciate your comments. :thumbsup:

Hiya, im not one but im looking into becoming one. Take a look on the South Yorkshire Police website (not sure if i can post the link). you'll be able to find what you need to know/how to apply etc on there

Hope this helps

Kirsty x

oh so you can post links on here without getting shouted at?! lol if id have known that i would have posted it and not made myself look like a complete plonker!

Eay up clairerob,

First question is WHY? does your mate want to become a PC, is it just the uniform:heyhey: Or the blokes in uniform.

Seriously..the police web sight is a good place to start, first off you really need to work on the fitness cos once you've passed the interview stage the fitness test has to be the hardest, shuttle runs etc. Eye sight got to be good too.

Basic quals, english a must for all the statement writting etc.

I believe they do 8 hour shifts now but not sure, used to be 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm & 10pm-6am.

If your successful you have to complete 2 years as a probationer, working with a tutor pc and topping up the training which is constant.

Pay not bad start at around 17k per year, get paid monthly.

Down side, constant tustles with CPS, they let you down most of the time, just when you think you've done a real good job they turn and say "not enough evidence" which can be extremely frustrating.

Once in and accepted they are an ace crew, must have a wicked sense of humour, this helps you deal with all the traumatic cr** you come across, must have a very understanding partner too, cos you need to off load your thoughts and feelings on someone, otherwise it cracks you up.

Remember, if your first at scene and it's a child involved it sure as hell takes some guts to deal with it in a professional manner.

You do aquire a sort of switch off mechanism though and a very strong stomach.

Very best of luck, with it hope this helps a little.

Thankyou for all your help everybody. It's been great. Im gonna get looking on the websites,.

Thankyou to bigredbox for actually telling me about it which is what I wanted the most. Thankyou again everyone. x:thumbsup: x

Depending which force you join, South Yorks currently operate 12 hr shifts of 2 days / 2 nights, 4 off. Although this may be changing next year. The pay is listed on SYP website and unless you are in a senior rank, is pretty poor for what is asked of you. But don't let that put you off, the team spirit is second to none and to be honest if you want to be a cop, its not the money you do it for........there is a great website for people at different stages of recruitment somthing like police999.com

Originally posted by clairerob

My best friend is wanting to become a police officer. Is there anybody on the board that is one already and can tell me a bit more about it. Like is the pay good and do you enjoy it? are the hours bad? Please help he would really appreciate your comments. :thumbsup:

Claire

I am an ex police officer and left 2 years ago. I can offer you some advice. Tel 07890599220