Proposed convenience store for Crosspool‏

A planning application has been submitted for the retail premises on Lydgate Lane, presently occupied by Motor World, to extend the building to three times its present size.

Planning application 10/02657/FUL indicates permission is being sought to change its use to a convenience store/market, possibly by one of the big supermarket chains. Work has already begun, with the removal of a number of trees from the site.

The application raises many questions, including how this might affect the viability of the present shops in the precinct, and crucially, what added pressure will this impact on Road Safety, at what is an already very busy Y-junction with Manchester Road.

TAKEN FROM THE WEB SITE

http://crosspool.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/proposed-convenience-store-for-crosspool%E2%80%8F

Its a good thing, more competition, more variety, save me driving to Crookes or Nethergreen as you simply don't buy fresh food from the spar so good for the environment. I was surprised that I got a leaflet through my door saying how residents could object but not how we can support it. The Crosspool Forum has nominated two people to speak in opposition at the planning meeting. I might go and speak in support!!!!!

Its a good thing, more competition, more variety, save me driving to Crookes or Nethergreen as you simply don't buy fresh food from the spar so good for the environment.

Have you tried buying food from the butchers or fruit and veg shops in Crosspool, they sell fresh food.

Yes you are correct they do sell fresh food and I use the butchers shop on a regular basis. However a convenience store is exactly what the name suggests and connvenience is popping to the shops after work not during.

spar has a monopoly on things like bread , beer, wine etc etc .... they charge what they like , so some competion would do em good !!

The person who Chairs the organisation that is promoting opposition to this application does work for one of the shops at Crosspool - conflict of interest springs to mind.

The person who Chairs the organisation that is promoting opposition to this application does work for one of the shops at Crosspool - conflict of interest springs to mind.

I wonder what "conflict of interest" your working for?

I wonder what "conflict of interest" your working for?

My and my families line of business is in no way impacted by this planning application. I am able however to speak out as a Crosspool Resident.

Edited by s10owl

My and my fmailies line of business is in no way impacted by this planning application. I am able however to speak out as a Crosspool Resident.

The plot thickens.

Why ??? I am merely pointing out the facts. So there is no Plot on my behalf. I live in Crosspool and feel the addition of this proposed store would be a good thing for many of the residents in particular the elderly who have a choice of the Spar or a bus ride to Broomhill and another Spar. I did not pass comment on the proposed Tesco express at Springvale Road /Walkley area as I dont live there and was not in a position to comment.

I am also from Crosspool and I do support this move....things at Spar very expensive ...Pure monopoly....hope the application will be approved...