Antivirus for Linux

ChrisIB

Clam AV is in the repository so easy to install.

AFAIK you only 'need' AV for scanning and this only if you wish to 'protect' other (Windows) users.

From my own observations it seems that very few Linux users use antivirus software. The only extra security I use is the Ubuntu built-in firewall.

There is loads of info about it on the Ubuntu documentation pages.

Also there is the Full Circle online magazine HERE which you might wish to subscribe to.

* Just located February 2010 Linux Format magazine - I had recalled that there was a good article about this somewhere.

On test was AVG Free, Avira, Avast, BitDefender, ClamAV, ClamTK and Sophos.

Avast and BitDefender scored highest and yes, they do recommend Antivirus software.

If you would like me to scan the article and forward it on then PM your email address and I will oblige.

Edited by poppy2

Thanks, will check out the Fullcirlce mag!

With the increase in Linux's popularity I am beginning to think AV is now an occasional requirement. Will try Avast and BitDefender (gave up trying to install AVG after circular error messages!)

AFAIK Norton does not manufacture an anti-virus product for Linux.

In any event, Linux is open source so users are looking (if at all) for free anti-virus software.

Also, since most Linux adherents see no reason to use anti-virus I can't imagine that it would be worthwhile for companies to develop this knowing that sales would be minuscule.